Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by nacho <na...@iie.edu.uy> on 2001/11/02 16:36:53 UTC

compiling under cygwin

Hi! I'm new to this list

While I was searching for info on
compiling Xerces-C on Cygwin on the mailing list archives I found two
mails (listed at the end) from people who have had the same problem.

Well, I've also been trying to do this.
As the "detailed build" sections says:
-I've "patched" the configure script to allow "-p cygwin",
-changed XerdesDefs.hpp and AutoSense.hpp (defined environment var CYGWIN)
-created a folder under Platforms with the name "Cygwin" and
 copied, with minor modifications, the LinuxDefs.hpp and
 LinuxPlatformUtils.cpp to CygwinDefs.hpp and CygwinPlatformUtils.hpp
 (and of course changed the makefile).
-I also had to create an empty "libpthread.a" (that was the easiest solution
 I found) to link the library.

but I still can't manage to compile all because of because of the
Transcoder file under the Iconv folder!
That's the only file I can't compile and of course it results in
tons of unresolved externals at link stage.

It needs "wctype.h" but this file is not part of cygwin. I know what
it does but I don't understand why Cygwin doesn't have it.
Where are the "Wide Char Type" functions declared??
Does anyone know?
Is wctype.h a standard header?

I went to the Cygnus mailing list but couldn't find an answer, only
that Cygwin seems to have the functions declared in wctype.h
implemented, so it must have it defined somewhere!

I hope anyone can help me with this...

Nacho.-

Subject:  Anybody interested in porting Xerces-C on Cygwin with me.
From:     Nishant Sharma <ni...@vigorsoft.com>
Date:     2001-06-22 16:15:16
[Download message RAW]

Hi Everybody,

I am not able to get Xerces-C working on Cygwin.

I had pthread problem with Cygwin. I got the solution to that.

Then encountered transcoder problem, but managed to compile the .cpp files
to have .o files. Here I had to use libmsvcrt.a to get _wcustr, etc....
functions.

I also made the static library which is getting linked with Xerces-C samples
also. But the executables result in code dump without even calling main()

Please comment.

Does any body [has / had] Xerces-C working on Cygwin?

And does anybody has time and taste to port Xerces-C on Cygwin with me.

Regards,
Nishant Sharma

"Downey, Nathan" wrote:

> Has anyone built xerces on the cygwin platform?

Hi,

I have given it a try. Not a real success, because configuration failed
already on pthreads library which is in cygwin case built-in to the
cygwin.dll and the implementation is not complete. Another question is
whether cygwin can use the Win32 transcoding service or another one.
Basically one must write all the system dependent code for cygwin from
scratch and things in cygwin move quite quickly.
I have done this with the Cygwin 1.1. DLL a moth ago. The things might get
improved since the time.

May be I give it another try if I find a bit of time and taste.

Saludos,
 nacho                          mailto:nacho@iie.edu.uy
--
"Yo no soy paranoico. Eso es lo que *ellos* quieren que piense"

Re: compiling under cygwin

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"nacho" <na...@iie.edu.uy> writes:

Hola Nacho,

> While I was searching for info on
> compiling Xerces-C on Cygwin on the mailing list archives I found two
> mails (listed at the end) from people who have had the same problem.
>
> Well, I've also been trying to do this.
> As the "detailed build" sections says:
> -I've "patched" the configure script to allow "-p cygwin",
> -changed XerdesDefs.hpp and AutoSense.hpp (defined environment var CYGWIN)
> -created a folder under Platforms with the name "Cygwin" and
>  copied, with minor modifications, the LinuxDefs.hpp and
>  LinuxPlatformUtils.cpp to CygwinDefs.hpp and CygwinPlatformUtils.hpp
>  (and of course changed the makefile).
> -I also had to create an empty "libpthread.a" (that was the easiest solution
>  I found) to link the library.

This is great, thanks!

> but I still can't manage to compile all because of because of the
> Transcoder file under the Iconv folder!
> That's the only file I can't compile and of course it results in
> tons of unresolved externals at link stage.
>
> It needs "wctype.h" but this file is not part of cygwin. I know what
> it does but I don't understand why Cygwin doesn't have it.
> Where are the "Wide Char Type" functions declared??
> Does anyone know?
> Is wctype.h a standard header?

These functions are assumed to be defined in the host computers libc
implementation.

Here's an implementation for cygwin:

  http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

and an email describing how to use it:

Here's another email I found on the subject:

as well as this earlier one that discussed get Text::Iconv for Perl
working under cygwin:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2001JanMar/0224.html

Let me know when you get it working!
jas.

RE: Re[2]: compiling under cygwin

Posted by Radovan Chytracek <Ra...@cern.ch>.
Hi,

 my "uname -a" says the following:

CYGWIN_NT-5.0 myhostname 1.3.4s(0.47/3/2) 20011029 00:31:03 i686 unknown

I have Cygwin 1.3.3 with the updated cygwin1.dll to the latest snapshot
20011029
to get rid of the make crashing in recursive mode.

I would suggest you to run setup.exe from http://cygwin.com and update your
mingw
setup.

Cheers

Radovan

Re[2]: compiling under cygwin

Posted by nacho <na...@iie.edu.uy>.
Of course I did that!!
I don't have it. The only files I've got under mingw are:

glui.h
glux.h
_G_config.h
GL --> ../GL

Perhaps my installation is missing something.

RC> Hi,

RC>     next time do in cygwin:

$>> find /usr | grep wctype.h
RC> /usr/include/mingw/wctype.h