Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se> on 2004/12/08 12:37:37 UTC

Re: [Templates] Summary and Voting aspects

Glen Ezkovich wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2004, at 4:18 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Refactoring JXTG
>> ================
>
> I think everything starts here. Once this gets refactored the
> opportunities for further development should become apparent. There is
> nothing terribly wrong with JXTG, except that it is a monolithic class
> with monolithic methods.

Yes, my current view is that I feel unconfortable with starting from
scratch
(http://www.joelonsoftware.com/printerFriendly/articles/fog0000000348.html).
Fun or not, we should just build a large test set arround JXTG and
refactor it, towards the kind of architecture that we have discussed in
previous discussions.

We can do that work on a copy of JXTG in the template block. There is
not that much activity on the current codebase, so I think it easier to
keep them syncronized than working on everything whithin core. I have
started some work in that direction and will put them in SVN as soon as
I get my splitted version of JXTG to compile again :/

>> For 1), the back compabillity preserving refactoring of JXTG. I
>> cannot see any need for voting about this. Either it gains community
>> support in terms of that people joins in design, implementation and
>> testing, or it don't. And in that case we just remove it. Then if the
>> new refactored implementation should replace the current one and get
>> "oficial status", thats certainly something to vote about. Also if we
>> develop some new interfaces e.g. for ELs or formaters that we feel
>> that should be made part of core, it will also be something that
>> should be handled by proposals and votes.
>>
>> I can assure you that I have no urge to implement everything myself
>> at all (as some of you might have noticed I enjoy design descussions
>> and proposals more than implementing stuff ;) ),
>
> You mean some people actually LIKE to implement stuff? ;-)

I do, but not as much as discussing the design ;)

>>  I will continue to strive for community involvment. And I will write
>> a proposal about how to continue the refactoring as soon as I find time.
>
>> Next Generation JXTG
>> ====================
>>
>> This is about how we should continue our development of the template
>> language beyond JXTG 1.0. It is purely at the RT stage, no concrete
>> design proposals yet. Later there might be proposals in form of
>> documents or proof of concept implementations. But that is a later
>> question.
>
> And an interesting discussion. I think once people look at the
> refactored JXTG and have an itch to scratch you will see a few
> attempts at expression language development.

Yes, the current monolith makes that far to hard.

>> Attribute Driven Templating
>> ===========================
>>
>> This is ongoing discussions. My hope is that we can design the
>> template engine in such a way that the synatx handling part is
>> plugable so that attribute and tag driven templates (JXTG) can
>> coexist, (although not in the same document ;) ).
>
> I'm guessing that after refactoring JXTG you will see that this is
> easily doable. I'm only guessing because I have only taken a brief
> look at JXTG's code, but one of the goals of refactoring is to
> organize the code properly.

Yes, it will be easily doable after refactoring.

>>  But that is a technical quiestion IMO. Anyway, we need to discuss
>> the consequences of dirrerent syntaxes a little bit more before
>> implementing anything.
>
> You mean defining the language. No one wants to implement. ;-)

Actually there are some people around here that prefer programming to
discussing. And a few impresive persons who manage to be active in both
areas :)

> Glen Ezkovich
> HardBop Consulting
> glen at hard-bop.com
> http://www.hard-bop.com
>
> A Proverb for Paranoids:
> "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to
> worry about answers."
> - Thomas Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow

Cool, one of my favourite books.

Re: [Templates] Summary and Voting aspects

Posted by Glen Ezkovich <gl...@hard-bop.com>.
On Dec 8, 2004, at 5:37 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>> You mean defining the language. No one wants to implement. ;-)
>
> Actually there are some people around here that prefer programming to
> discussing. And a few impresive persons who manage to be active in
> both areas :)

Ahhhh.... that explains why there is a Cocoon and not just a set of
requirements. :-)

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com