Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by db <db...@traceroute.dk> on 2005/05/08 16:31:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.1 when?

Hi all

I've searched http://httpd.apache.org/ but couldn't find the info I was
looking for, so I hope someone here can help me.
I want to write a module for apache 2.x, but as far as I could see the module
API is not "stable" yet. I'm guessing this will happen around the next stable
2.X release? Which will be apache 2.1? But when will this happen? (I'm not
expecting a precise date, but is it one month or one year from now?)

I've found a lot of tutorials on module writing, but most of them are out of
date and/or not very comprehensive, so does anyone know if there is a "2.1
module api" documentation in development?

br
db

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.1 when?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 5/8/05, db <db...@traceroute.dk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've searched http://httpd.apache.org/ but couldn't find the info I was
> looking for, so I hope someone here can help me.
> I want to write a module for apache 2.x, but as far as I could see the module
> API is not "stable" yet. I'm guessing this will happen around the next stable
> 2.X release? Which will be apache 2.1? But when will this happen? (I'm not
> expecting a precise date, but is it one month or one year from now?)

The 2.0 module-API is stable, and the developers have stated that it
will remain binary compatible to future 2.0 versions.

The 2.1 module API will not be binary compatible with 2.0, but I
believe it will be source-compatible.

2.1 is currently somewhere between alpha and beta.  It should go to
beta shortly.  When the final release (which will be called 2.2) will
happen is anyone's guess.  If I was forced, I would guess the end of
this year.

> I've found a lot of tutorials on module writing, but most of them are out of
> date and/or not very comprehensive, so does anyone know if there is a "2.1
> module api" documentation in development?

I don't think a complete doc exists.  But the doxygen stuff should be
a good reference:
http://docx.webperf.org/

Joshua.