Posted to user@juddi.apache.org by BalajiG <ba...@mathworks.com> on 2009/01/29 20:50:58 UTC

General Release and Roadmap information

Hi,
 We are new to UDDI world and just starting to looking at it for our web
services and "internal/private registry" use-cases.

 We have decided to use JUDDI, however I'm trying to find a few information
to explain our selection. Coud someone kindly respond to the following
questions. I looked around reference, news, release sections of juddi
website and couldn't find the answers. Please forgive my ignorance if my
questions are basic or if I have over-looked any available information.

1) Where do I find the future/In-progress releases of this project?(I see
that Version 2.0rc5 was on 2007)

2) Any pointers to the features that would be addressed in the up-coming
releases or roadmap of this project? (say UDDI 3.0 etc...)

3) Any references to customers currently using this in a Highly available
production environment? (To help bring the confidence of IT managers)

4) From the getting started pdf file, couldn't find exact information as
"How to run this registry in a clustered environment? Ours is a Weblogic
based cluster environment. As JUDDI metadata is being stored in the registry
data-store, Is it safe tot say that Installing the mid-tier components on
all nodes of the weblogic cluster will give us a clustered registry? Are
there special instructions to install and run it in an clustered
environment?

5) Does the publishing aspect support the concept of "retiring a web
service"? (Or Is it as good as deleting the model/metadata from the
registry?)

Thanks in advance!!

RE: General Release and Roadmap information

Posted by Jeff Faath <jf...@apache.org>.
To answer #3, at my company, eSigma.com, we've had a customized version of
jUDDI deployed for several years that allows providers to publish publicly
available services.  It's worked just fine for us.  We've also had several
clients deploy this same jUDDI-backed registry.

To give you more detail on question #5, UDDI defines a specification to
store and discover your digital assets (mainly in the form of web services).
It provides an API and structures to work with your data in any way you
please.  As Kurt said, you could just do a delete for a retired service.  Or
you could define your own categorization scheme with say two values "ACTIVE"
and "RETIRED" and categorize your entities accordingly.  UDDI provides the
interface, it's up to the user to decide how they want to use it to handle
their assets.

Here's a link to the spec that provides many examples of using the
structures (it's rather long, the examples tend to be in the appendices, but
you'll probably want a base knowledge of UDDI):

http://uddi.org/pubs/uddi-v3.0.2-20041019.htm

-Jeff

I'm happy to see you decided to go with jUDDI. See my comments below.

Cheers,

--Kurt

BalajiG wrote:
> Hi,
>  We are new to UDDI world and just starting to looking at it for our web
> services and "internal/private registry" use-cases.
>
>  We have decided to use JUDDI, however I'm trying to find a few
information
> to explain our selection. Coud someone kindly respond to the following
> questions. I looked around reference, news, release sections of juddi
> website and couldn't find the answers. Please forgive my ignorance if my
> questions are basic or if I have over-looked any available information.
>
> 1) Where do I find the future/In-progress releases of this project?(I see
> that Version 2.0rc5 was on 2007)

We are actively finishing up the 2.0 release which supports UDDI v2.
(I'm working on 2.0rc6 as I'm typing this). The final 2.0 release should
follow shortly after.
> 2) Any pointers to the features that would be addressed in the up-coming
> releases or roadmap of this project? (say UDDI 3.0 etc...)

we are also close to a jUDDI_v3 alpha release which implements UDDI v3.
> 3) Any references to customers currently using this in a Highly available
> production environment? (To help bring the confidence of IT managers)

among other products jUDDI is part of JBoss (and JBossESB) and Glassfish
> 4) From the getting started pdf file, couldn't find exact information as
> "How to run this registry in a clustered environment? Ours is a Weblogic
> based cluster environment. As JUDDI metadata is being stored in the
registry
> data-store, Is it safe tot say that Installing the mid-tier components on
> all nodes of the weblogic cluster will give us a clustered registry? Are
> there special instructions to install and run it in an clustered
> environment?

jUDDI is stateless, having it backed by a clustered database should do
the trick.
> 5) Does the publishing aspect support the concept of "retiring a web
> service"? (Or Is it as good as deleting the model/metadata from the
> registry?)

Not sure what you mean with retiring (a logical delete?), anyway we do
physical deletes. Maybe you can describe the use case so we can discuss
this some more.
> Thanks in advance!!

Hopefully you'll get some more responses besides just mine.

Cheers,

--Kurt

RE: General Release and Roadmap information

Posted by Jeff Faath <jf...@apache.org>.
There's no "correct" or "standard" way to do this use case.  The only
standard here is the UDDI specification and the interface and structures it
provides.

I've seen versioning handled by adding separate services and appropriately
categorizing them.  I've also seen it done by storing one service but having
multiple binding templates for each version (binding templates usually
represent the service's access point).  Binding templates can themselves be
categorized (ie. you can give one the "retired" reference).  This latter
scenario is commonly used in the development lifecycle of a service, for
example, you might have different binding templates for "test" and
"production" access points.

The bottom line is any client discovering services on your registry is going
to have to know how to appropriately decipher the information.  The returned
XML is standardized but the context of the XML (not all of it really, just
user-defined stuff like categories) must be known.

Posted by BalajiG <ba...@mathworks.com>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Welcome BalajiG,