Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Thompson, Dave M. (IPG IT CP Arch)" <da...@hp.com> on 2005/07/19 22:15:56 UTC

Log4j (and other) errors.

Hi,

Just installed axis and all sw needed to make it 'happy'.  In working
through the User Guide, cannot get any of the userguide samples to work.
Always get 'WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly' and then
some other error.  Don't have a clue as to what is required; assumed
that following the installation instructions would initialize everything
correctly.

Example 1: when trying to run sample/userguide/example1, I enter 'java
samples.userguide.example1.TestClient' as instructed.  The response is
the log4j warning noted above and an AxisFault with a 404 return code.
Not sure if the warning and the 404 are related.

Example 2: 'java samples.userguide.example2.CalcClient -p8080 add 2 5
Got result : 7' results in the log4j warning and an AxisFault: no
compiler found in your classpath! May need to add 'tools.jar'.  Checked
classpath and tools.jar is there.

Can anyone help?

Dave

Re: Log4j (and other) errors.

Posted by Krishnan Kannan <ka...@kannan.us>.
Hello Dave,

To resolve the log4j initialization error you have to specify a
configuration file for log4j. You can do that by passing in a Java
property on the java command line as :

java -Dlog4j.configuration=myconfig.xml  my.package.name.myclass

The myconfig.xml is configuration file with your log4j settings. You can start with this example below and
then modify it based on your needs. For more info about log4j and config file check http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html.

---------------begin myconfig.xml-----------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">

  <appender name="appender" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
    <param name="File" value="myapp_log4j.log"/>
    <param name="Append" value="false"/>
      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d [%t] %p - %m%n"/>
    </layout>
  </appender>

  <root>
    <priority value ="debug"/>