Posted to scout-dev@ws.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2010/08/03 18:04:20 UTC

Proposed resolution to create Apache jUDDI Project

jUDDI developers and PMC members,

Greetings.  In an effort to continue the successful restructuring of the Web
Services PMC, I'd like to hereby propose that we split out the jUDDI and
Scout subprojects into a new Top-Level Project known as the "Apache jUDDI
Project".  These two projects are healthy and tightly related.

A proposed resolution follows.  I only tossed in the jUDDI committers, if
there are other Scout folk who should also be on the list please update.  I
assumed Kurt was the right candidate for VP.

What do you think?  If people are good with this, we should finalize the
resolution and then VOTE on it.

Please direct all responses to "general@ws.apache.org" so that the broader
PMC community can participate in the discussion.

Thanks,
--Glen

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of the
Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish a
Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
open-source software related to the Universal Description, Discovery and
Integration specification for Web Services, for distribution at no charge to
the public.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee (PMC),
to be known as "Apache jUDDI Project", be and hereby is established
pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache jUDDI Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of an implementation of a UDDI client and
repository, as well as the JAXR APIs; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache jUDDI" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of the
Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache jUDDI Project, and to have
primary responsibility for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache jUDDI Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache jUDDI Project:

* Kurt Stam <kstam AT apache DOT org>
* Jeffrey Faath <jfaath AT apache DOT org>
* Tom Cunningham <tcunning AT apache DOT org>
* Steve Viens <steve AT viens DOT net>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Kurt Stam be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache jUDDI, to serve in accordance with
and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache jUDDI Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Web Services jUDDI subproject and
the Apache Web Services Scout subproject; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to these Apache Web Services
subprojects encumbered upon the Apache Web Services Project are hereafter
discharged

Re: Proposed resolution to create Apache jUDDI Project

Posted by Tom Cunningham <tc...@redhat.com>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Forgot to mention that I think combining scout + juddi is a great idea.
If you guys would like I'd be happy to be on the PMC.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Great looking forward to it :).

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Great looking forward to it :).

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

As far as I know Jeff works for ESigma, Steve for Liberty Mutual, and
Anil (JBossAS), Tom (JBossESB) and myself (Guvnor) for RedHat/JBoss,
where we work on different projects, so the three of us really have very
different perspectives. Hopefully David Jencks will come on too, he
works for IBM. I hope this addresses your concerns, moreover we welcome
any help we can get :).

Cheers,

--Kurt

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Cunningham <tc...@redhat.com>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Gunnlaugur Sigurðsson <gu...@gmail.com>.
I don't know if I have a vote in this or not, but this sounds good.
-Gunnlaugur

--

Kveðja/Regards
Gunnlaugur Sigurðsson

Re: Proposed resolution to create Apache jUDDI Project

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Double your current stipend.

Posted by Jeff Faath <jf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Viens <st...@viens.net>.
Apologize for the late response.  I think this is an excellent idea.

Steve

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Well, +1 here for what it's worth.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Andreas

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
It looks fine by me.

The only concern that may be raised is a PMC of only 4 people is a bit small.
You would need 3/4 participation to get a release out.   I don't think it's a
HUGE deal at this point, but it's something you may want to have a prepared
statement for in case the board asks about it.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Proposed resolution to create Apache jUDDI Project

Posted by Tom Cunningham <tc...@redhat.com>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.