Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> on 2008/08/10 03:11:56 UTC

Amazing stuff with Tomcat

We now doing absolutely incredible stuff with Tomcat... and I just want to
show you where we at.

For those that dont know... we made Tomcat not only do our web stuff, Tomcat
is also our application server...
But have a look at this to see just how interesting this has become...

We now make our swing apps "without" libraries ;)
This is our test case...
http://www.kewlstuff.co.za/ideao2/pojobinder/PojoBinder.htm

That test uses Postgres, and H2, and Swing, but the app will work remotely
on the wire, "without" carrying any libraries ;) A swing app that doesnt
have to carry libraries is tiny... so we pop them out of browsers, almost
instantly.

On a lan, a remote machine that does not have anything but Java on it...
launches that little application that you see, which then diplays a few
thousand records from postgres, and carries a local H2 dB, ie it creates an
embedded dB on the remote clients machine... in 3 seconds...
And little old Tomcat is doing it ;)

Tomcat is the best thing that we ever did ;)
Tomcat can go way beyond a little old web site... we definitely owe the TC
guys lunch ;)

Re: Amazing stuff with Tomcat

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Johny,

Posted by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> wrote:
> We now doing absolutely incredible stuff with Tomcat... and I just want to
> show you where we at.
>
> For those that dont know... we made Tomcat not only do our web stuff, Tomcat
> is also our application server...
> But have a look at this to see just how interesting this has become...
>
> We now make our swing apps "without" libraries ;)
> This is our test case...
> http://www.kewlstuff.co.za/ideao2/pojobinder/PojoBinder.htm
>
> That test uses Postgres, and H2, and Swing, but the app will work remotely
> on the wire, "without" carrying any libraries ;) A swing app that doesnt
> have to carry libraries is tiny... so we pop them out of browsers, almost
> instantly.
>
> On a lan, a remote machine that does not have anything but Java on it...
> launches that little application that you see, which then diplays a few
> thousand records from postgres, and carries a local H2 dB, ie it creates an
> embedded dB on the remote clients machine... in 3 seconds...
> And little old Tomcat is doing it ;)
>
> Tomcat is the best thing that we ever did ;)
> Tomcat can go way beyond a little old web site... we definitely owe the TC
> guys lunch ;)

I am interested how this is being achieved.
Can you please tell me where does the Swing application being run (on
server or on client)?
If it is run on server, what is being send down to client?
And can user inter-act with the swing application on client? (mouse
click, enter text)?

Thank you.