Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "K. Mike Bradley" <km...@mikienet.com> on 2005/01/18 01:37:49 UTC

Java VM Monitor-Debug

I have a need to look inside a running Java VM for a Tomcat app.
We are having problems with an app on every server and can't figure it out.

I have a kernel mode debugger I can use for a Windows app but this is
useless here of course.
What kinds of third party products let you see inside a Java VM?

I need to see processes and threads and execution times and stack and heap
space and whatever else is unique to Java that I need to see.
I mean that I need a real solid diagnostic tool.

I see that J2SE 5 has this monitor API and SNMP as well but I don't think I
can get it in our app.

Is there any third party tools out there that are real solid??

Thanks.

Re: Java VM Monitor-Debug

Posted by "Sean M. Duncan" <se...@ferrosoft.com>.
You need a profiler.  I would suggest JProfiler for development
monitoring.  It's far too intrusive to use on a production system
though.