Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/29 18:34:49 UTC

[S2] Testing if session variable is present

Hi,

I need to test in jsp if some session variable is present, and based on that
show some struts view code or not. How can I do that ?

--
Thx, Milan

Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Ylva D <yl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Milan,

If you're using Struts 1 you should be able to use the logic:present tag
like this:
<logic:present name = "NameOfVariableSavedInSession" scope = "session">
   <tags to execute if the above is true....
</logic:present>

Hope this helps!

/Ylva

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Nop, it doesn't work.

--
Milan

Posted by Marcos Hermida <ma...@meteogalicia.es>.
Have you tried this:

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
> No one have any idea how to access session variable in jsp in this kind of
> simple scenario ?

You may access your session variable just like you would do without S2. There
is no difference. Then use either the s:test tag from struts or c:if from the
standard tag library.

	Piero

RE: Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by "newton.dave@yahoo.com" <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Sure it's possible.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
O.K. Chris, thank!

But, do I need this invalidation ? What is its purpose ?

--
Thx, Milan

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Nils-Helge Garli Hegvik <ni...@gmail.com>.
If your artifacts are that big, I suggest that you create a minimal
example that reproduces your error and then provide us with those as
examples. Otherwise, it's impossible to help. And who knows, maybe the
little example works, and then we can rule out Struts 2 in the
equation.

Nils-H

Re: [Friday] Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Well, actually no.

I work through my application 30 mins. with my session o.k., but when I came
to redirect action it dissapear. I will create test application with nearly
empty action class and jsp-s to try if redirect action
to another namespace really delete session, as it happes to me. I checked
this with log, variable is here, user click on redirect link, after showing
resulting jsp, there is no any variable in session. And what is interesting,
Acegi doesn't ask for login, so not whole session is deleted, only variables
I set in Struts action class.

--
Regards, Milan

Posted by st...@gmail.com.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Tonight on the Struts 2 comedy channel; How your employer is ensuring
you enjoy your day by only filtering out the boring websites to avoid
you having to waste time checking them out :).

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
So you'd choose JDBC driver source code over porn.... and you called me
wierd :).

Dave Newton wrote:
> --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't worry, I've just written a rant about not relying on dirty
>> reads and had to re-word it to include the footnote "This
>> discussion is about the SQL & JDBC Drivers and is not about porn".
>>

> Well, they're both just as exciting.
>
> Right?
>
> Anyone?
>
> *chirp*
>
> Dave

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

[Friday] Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.

Dave Newton wrote:
> --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com> wrote:
>
>> Thhhaaarrrr she blows!!!!!!
>>

> *lol*
>
> Tropical Depression Dave

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Fri, 8/1/08, Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com> wrote:
> Thhhaaarrrr she blows!!!!!!

*lol*

Tropical Depression Dave

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Thhhaaarrrr she blows!!!!!! (I use she in the shipping sense of the
word... i.e. everythings a she when you're at sea for that long and it's
all blokes).

Dave Newton wrote:
> --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> O.K. Basically I'm just asking one simple question, is
>> it possible that redirect action delete session or variables
>> in it or maybe not pass some, because they after redirecting
>> I don't have that variable in session ?
>>

> NO.
>
> There is no mechanism in S2 that arbitrarily removes session variables. The "redirectAction" result don't do anything to the session at all. In fact, very little does anything with the session at all.
>
> Look at the S2 code. Since you're not going to help us help you, you're going to have to help yourself. All the code is available. Step through it if you have to. Read the documentation of any code you use that might involve the session; not knowing what session.invalidate() does leads me to believe you haven't spent much time with the Javadocs. Check your interceptor stack and interceptor configuration. If you don't want to step through code, add an interceptor that tracks session variables and see if an interceptor is removing it. Understand Acegi better; if it's making you log in then something is wrong and you may lose your session there.
>
> RedirectAction is not the culprit, AFAICT, from the information you've provided.
>
> Hurricane Dave

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks huricane Dave ;-).

O.K. I'll check everything one more time. I'm using only default stack and
it worked until now good. And I fixed that "invalidate" problem, so I don't
invalidate nor clear session anywhere in my project.

--
Regards, Milan

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Ahhhh Medusa code.  So named because anyone who looks at it gets so
petrified they turn to freeze up and turn to stone.

I once worked for a company where one of their classes was about 200K in
size, the reason was the developer thought that in every you needed to
catch every exception thrown, wrap it in something else, and re-throw it.

Laugh... I laughed so hard I almost peed in my pants when I saw it. (and
yes, the company was dumb enough to pay  an expensive contractor to
"optimize" the code. he corrected the exception handling, which reduced
the code size and sped things up slighly, for which he got glowing
praise by the management).

Al.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Captin... The cyclometric complexity meter is at max... I canne give it
any more.

Reflection can seriously help with big else-ifs. If your switching on a
variable use the variable name and value as part of the class name and
then do;

Class blahHandlerClass = Class.forName( "BlahHandlerFor"+value );
BlahHandler blahHandler = blahHandlerClass.newInstance();
blahHandler.doYourWork();

It splits your code into more manageable chunks, allows you to add
handlers for new values without touching the motherload, and it makes it
look like you're a java ninja blending in with the workplace :).

Al.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Fri, 8/1/08, Milan Milanovic wrote:
> Could you be positive that Struts 2.0.11.1 doesn't
> do anything with session, i.e., session remains intact
> and  session is set for folowing action in case of
> redirect action?

Session handling is no different for a redirectAction than any other result (more or less).

The advice to write a test application that reproduces the error was good advice--without it it will even *more* difficult to help you.

Dave

Re: [Friday] Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
I refer you to the answer on sessions I gave you some emails ago.

You **REALLY** should read how session work. They are not passed through
a servlet.

Al.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Milan,

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.

Milan Milanovic wrote:
> O.K. Thanks.
>
> I must see why my session is deleted when redirect action is called :-(. I
> checked everything 10 times, and I don't anything with session, so it is
> very wierd to me why it is removed after just one click.
>
> --
> Regards, Milan
>

> Al Sutton wrote:
>
>> Answer : No
>>
>> Only your code and your site design will affect the session variables
>> you have set and whether they are accessible.
>>
>> Milan Milanovic wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Piero,
>>>
>>> O.K. Basically I'm just asking one simple question, is it possible that
>>> redirect action delete session or variables in it or maybe not pass some,
>>> because they after redirecting I don't have that variable in session ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards, Milan

>> --
>> --
>> Al Sutton
>>
>> W: www.alsutton.com
>> T: twitter.com/alsutton

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
O.K. Thanks.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Answer : No

Milan Milanovic wrote:
> Hi Piero,
>
> O.K. Basically I'm just asking one simple question, is it possible that
> redirect action delete session or variables in it or maybe not pass some,
> because they after redirecting I don't have that variable in session ?
>
> --
> Regards, Milan
>

> Piero Sartini-3 wrote:
>
>>> It's seems like that redirect action doesn't
>>> pass
>>> or set session to another action class.
>>>
>> If you can't give us the code, we aren't able to help you.
>> Session's don't need to be passed between actions. They are managed by the
>> servlet container. But it is pretty safe to assume that Struts2 is not
>> destroying your session.
>>
>> 	Piero

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Piero,

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
:O imho first stop would be someone who will refactor them.

5 jsps and 2 classes with 5K lines of code is not a healthy program.
Once they have been refactored you may find it easier to find the problem.

Al.

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.

Milan Milanovic wrote:
> Al ?!
>
> Dave, I cannot give you all that info, because of two things, first my
> classes
> and jsp-s are pretty complex, and not in english! So, I narrowed my scenario
> to this, my variable is in session -> when redirect action is clicked, there
> is no
> variable in session any more! It's seems like that redirect action doesn't
> pass
> or set session to another action class.
>
> --
> Regards, Milan
>

> Al Sutton wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Repeat after me;
>>
>> It's Friday. It's nearly the weekend. And if they don't give me what I
>> want I'm going to take my toys away and stop playing :).
>>
>> Al.
>>
>> Dave Newton wrote:

>>> Then provide the artifacts I requested so people can look at it--how do
>>> you expect anybody to diagnose your problem if you don't provide what's
>>> necessary?
>>>
>>> Dave

>> --
>> --
>> Al Sutton
>>
>> W: www.alsutton.com
>> T: twitter.com/alsutton

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
I already gave you my action configuration:

<action name="show" class="mySecondAction">
        <!-- Redirect to another namespace -->
        <result type="redirect-action">
              show
              /actions
              true
                   ${id}
         </result>
</action>

and here it is how it is called from jsp:

<s:url id="connectUrl" action="show">
	s:param name="id" value="id" />
</s:url>
<s:a id="d_%{id}" href="%{connectUrl}">Show</s:a>

--
Regards, Milan

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Al ?!

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Dave,

Dave Newton wrote:
> --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I understand. But I don't remove session variable
>> or call invalidate anymore, and when my variable is stored
>> during the whole scenario and when I click to this redirect
>> I get lost of my variable.
>>

> Then provide the artifacts I requested so people can look at it--how do you expect anybody to diagnose your problem if you don't provide what's necessary?
>
> Dave

Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton

Re: [OT] RE: RE: Re: [OT] new Boolean(true)? Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
O.K. Thanks.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
As you can see, I've read it, conclude it and write here, if I didn't I'll
still have a problem, isn't it ?!

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by "newton.dave@yahoo.com" <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Dear Dave,

Posted by "newton.dave@yahoo.com" <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Thu, 7/31/08, Milan Milanovic wrote:
> (getSession().put("variable", new Boolean(true));

Use Boolean.TRUE rather than instantiating a new object.

Note also that the Javadocs for Boolean state in big bold letters:

"Note: It is rarely appropriate to use this constructor. Unless a new instance is required, the static factory valueOf(boolean) is generally a better choice. It is likely to yield significantly better space and time performance."

Dave

Re: [S2] Testing if session variable is present

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
It seems that my session variable is deleted somehow when first action method
of the second Action class is called:

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
So, scenario is like this:

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.
I have one more question, not directly connected with this one. How can I ask
user with popup windows if he want to proceed when he click to some link,
without using Ajax and div tags ?

--

Thx, Milan

Posted by Milan Milanovic <mi...@yahoo.com>.