Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2016/05/28 00:52:39 UTC

Number of projects in Incubation [was: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1]

I respectfully disagree... One of the main reasons we went from 1 to 3
recommended mentors, way back in the days, was that those 3 would be the
primary people to ping for binding votes, without limiting the rest of the
IPMC to do so.

If that is no longer the consensus, then we need to look at the bigger
picture.
At the moment, the number of incubating projects are staggering (>50), and
take a look at https://projects.apache.org/ . I think it looks like both
the RATE-Incomng is increasing and the RATE-graduating is slowing down
recently, OR that there was a particularly strong effort to get projects to
graduate in 2011-2012 to bring the incubation set down.
Either way, I think we need to manage to drive down the number of projects
in incubation.

An additional graph that would be super-interesting to get is "Months in
Incubation" for the current podlings, plotted over time.

Cheers
Niclas

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I think you need to ping your mentors, and if they are not able, then I
> > think you need to raise this as an issue with the Incubator PMC, either
> in
> > separate thread or put it in the report for next month.
>
> AFAIK it's not the responsibility of the mentors to vote, it's the
> responsibility of the IPMC. Mentors should vote if they can, but there’s
> going to be times when they are busy and unable to do so.
>
> > I am not on the PMC, and can't help at this point.
>
> Anyone can vote on a release you don’t have to be on the IPMC to do so.
> IPMC votes are the only binding votes however. But voting on releases may
> be a way to join the IPMC if you are not an ASF member.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Number of projects in Incubation [was: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1]

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 05/28/2016 05:31 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> And where is the sources for that?

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> as always, snapshots in time is not as useful as trending data over time. I
> guess it is time to take a look at whimsy.. :-)

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html

Justin

Re: Number of projects in Incubation [was: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1]

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Thanks Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org>.
As a podling member, who's been observing here for a couple of months I
have a question here:

What are the principles the incubator uses to decide whether or not to
accept a podling?  I know there are a few questions that all podlings have
to answer when creating their proposal, but I haven't actually seen any
podlings rejected in the time I've been watching.  Is there a clear picture
of what kinds of projects Apache *doesn't* want to take on?

(As an aside, I read Justin's votes on other projects' releases to improve
my understanding of the general requirements for a release.  He's not just
voting on every release.  By explaining the principles he bases his vote on
every time, he's providing a blue print on how to judge a release for those
of us creating them.  Thank you Justin.)

Greets,
Myrle

*Myrle Krantz*
Solutions Architect
RɅĐɅЯ, The Mifos Initiative
mkrantz@mifos.org | Skype: mkrantz.mifos.org | http://mifos.org

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> I just want to clarify here on the thread —- while I think in general there
> may be problems with too many podlings/inactive mentors, that is not an
> issue we often face.

Justin Mclean has voted on so many releases over the last several years, he is
the HERO of the Incubator.  Justin should never buy his own beer at ApacheCon
ever again!

How many podlings owe their timely releases to Justin?  How many Mentors who
have failed to vote on releases has he rescued?

So Justin was busy this one time.  So what.  As Sterling says above, this is
not a trend.  Justin, Greg Stein, and Sterling have all been extremely active,
and all four Mynewt Mentors have voted on previous releases.  If you're
looking at Mynewt and seeing the Incubator burning down, that says more about
your perspective than it does about either Mynewt or the state of the
Incubator.

Here's a suggestion: When the next Mynewt release candidate hits, if Justin
is still busy, how about some of the people who owe him big-time help him out?

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Number of projects in Incubation [was: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1]

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Yeah... kind of hard for me to vote while I was on vacation last week.
Didn't happen, but that is not a problem.

As Justin notes, our job is to *mentor* ... that doesn't mean we are
obligated to vote. Voting on a release implies a large commitment to
downloading the tarball, building, deploying, testing, etc. And Mynewt is
not the easiest of our projects ... "configure; make; make install" isn't
even *close* to what is needed. I've got some hardware bits that I could
use for testing, but have not found the time to get the whole cycle set up.

Being unable to *test* the bits, that means I cannot offer my +1. But
damned sure that I've been providing oversight on the Mynewt podling as it
turns the crank.

A +1 vote means "I've downloaded, verified, built, tested, etc". Mentors
are more about *community* rather than the code. (I like mynewt and plan to
deploy it, but that is irrelevant to the matter at hand)

So I'm gonna ask that y'all ease up and re-examine what release voting
really means.

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
I just want to clarify here on the thread \u2014- while I think in general
there may be problems with too many podlings/inactive mentors, that is
not an issue we often face.

It is simply that this release came at a time when some of our mentors
were busy, and we want to get a release out the door\u2014 and I was
looking for others on the incubator PMC to help us ship it.  Hopefully
some folks can step in.

If this were to happen on every release, it would be a problem.  This is
our 4th release, and the first time it\u2019s happened \u2014 generally

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
I will admit to being somewhat of a quiet mentor for Mynewt, particularly with respect to vetting releases. I have been monitoring the community and signing off on reports.

I've often seen more experienced mentors vote on releases, and held back on voting based on trust in them. I'll try to do a better job or scale back on projects I'm mentoring.

-Taylor

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.