Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gabrielle Becker <be...@live.com> on 2013/09/29 13:51:38 UTC

Is Apache Open Office good for sales tax service spreadsheets?

hi,
I am just looking for a simple spreadsheet program where I can keep track of who I charged what, plus what sales tax there was, plus address, time and invoice number.It needs to be searchable.  Etc. Is Apache open office good for this type of use? I would be getting cash or checks so no need for keeping track of bank account or credit card numbers.

Re: Is Apache Open Office good for sales tax service spreadsheets?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
I am writing a document on a Calc guide for accountants and financial
people. Tools such as "Validity", "Goal Seek" and formulas like
vlookup can help you work with many of the things you need to be done.

Validity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8YHWDTUshA
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Calc_Guide/Validating_cell_contents

Goal Seek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26gc9n8ZHdU
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Calc_Guide/Goal_seek

On 9/29/13, James Plante <ji...@me.com> wrote:
> Depends on how much data you intend to acquire. For a small shop, using AOO
> would be feasible. But as Tom Goldie said below, a database should be
> employed if you're acquiring lots of data. Spreadsheets do well on small
> data sets, but beyond a certain point they get unwieldly, then become
> unusable. You've got only 65,534 rows (records) to work with in a
> spreadsheet; many more records are possible in a database.
>
> Regards,
> Jim Plante
>
> On Sep 29, 2013, at 6:51 AM, Gabrielle Becker <be...@live.com>
> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> I am just looking for a simple spreadsheet program where I can keep track
>> of who I charged what, plus what sales tax there was, plus address, time
>> and invoice number.It needs to be searchable.  Etc. Is Apache open office
>> good for this type of use? I would be getting cash or checks so no need
>> for keeping track of bank account or credit card numbers.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://www.openoffice.org

Re: Is Apache Open Office good for sales tax service spreadsheets?

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.