Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2021/01/01 10:42:40 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven maven-shared-resources 3

Happy New Year :)

Le jeudi 31 décembre 2020, 17:51:53 CET Sylwester Lachiewicz a écrit :
> Hi,
> Sorry for releasing with ea version - i use it on daily basis to test all
> Maven components. For future I'll be more careful.
thank you
we could eventually add a Maven Enforcer test in the release profile (in parent POM) to help detect and report if forgotten (because we're humans...)

> This packages contains only files, no compiled classes so it should not be
> affected by java version.
sure, it's only the MANIFEST.MF of main .jar that contains Build-Jdk-Spec entry: extra effort to configure the maven-jar-plugin to remove this entry would be overkill IMHO

> My build was created from fresh git clone on
> Windows 10.
> How i can verify if your procedure on my side?
mvn -Papache-release,run-its -Dgpg.skip clean verify artifact:buildinfo -Dreference.repo=https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1619

(I did not add here the trick for emulating Windows newlines on Linux given you're building on Windows)

notice that I just installed JDK 17 EA +3 and I could as expected reproduce the build: but I strongly discourage doing releases with such a moving target, because it would not be surprising that in the next months, there are changes in generated bytecode of this EA
And I know that the Maven Docker image to automate rebuild on Reproducible Central won't be available for now...

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
(off-topic) +1 for adding an enforcer rule to verify both JDK and Maven. Officially we should verify OS version too, so we have all 3 critical parts for a release. But OS is most likely too hard and won't gain us anything.

Robert