Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Raphael Parree <rp...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/08 16:11:42 UTC

Auto dectect font and embedding

Hi,

On the fop web site i found the following (
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#autodetect)
"By default, all fonts are embedded if an output format supports font
embedding"

(I am using auto detect font)..

Later on that same page: "When FOP embeds a font, it adds a prefix to the
fontname..."

When i look at the Fonts tab in Adobe Acrobat (Document Properties) I don't
see these prefixes. Does that mean my fonts are not embedded.

(I am using today's most recent version from the trunk)

If they are not embedded, how can i embed them?

tx.,

Raphael

Re: Auto dectect font and embedding

Posted by Raphael Parree <rp...@triveratech.com>.
Vincent,

Thanks for clearing that up. All true type fonts are embedded, only the Type
1 fonts Helvetica and Courier are not embedded. I will try substituting
these with Arial and Courier new resp.

tx!

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Raphael,
>
> Raphael Parree wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On the fop web site i found the following (
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#autodetect)
> > "By default, all fonts are embedded if an output format supports font
> > embedding"
> >
> > (I am using auto detect font)..
> >
> > Later on that same page: "When FOP embeds a font, it adds a prefix to the
> > fontname..."
> >
> > When i look at the Fonts tab in Adobe Acrobat (Document Properties) I
> don't
> > see these prefixes. Does that mean my fonts are not embedded.
>
> No: usually PDF viewers will skip the prefix when displaying the names
> of embedded fonts. You should see 'embedded subset' in the properties
> dialog box next to the font name. If the font is not embedded you will
> see an 'Actual Font:' below the name of the font.
>

> > (I am using today's most recent version from the trunk)
> >
> > If they are not embedded, how can i embed them?
> >
> > tx.,
> >
> > Raphael
>
> HTH,
> Vincent

Raphael Parree
CTO
SOA Evangelist

Trivera Technologies Global J2EE Education, Mentoring, Courseware &
Consulting Services
phone:+31 152600 448
phone +33 683 468663
Disclaimer...
"The information contained in this message may be confidential and is
intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Sender's written permission is
needed prior to forwarding or otherwise using the content of the message,
whether completely or partially. Should you receive this message
unintentionally, please do not use the contents herein and notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail. Please rely on your own virus checking, no
responsibility is taken by the sender for any damage rising out of any bug
or virus infection."

Re: Auto dectect font and embedding

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raphael,

Raphael Parree wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the fop web site i found the following (
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#autodetect)
> "By default, all fonts are embedded if an output format supports font
> embedding"
>
> (I am using auto detect font)..
>
> Later on that same page: "When FOP embeds a font, it adds a prefix to the
> fontname..."
>
> When i look at the Fonts tab in Adobe Acrobat (Document Properties) I don't
> see these prefixes. Does that mean my fonts are not embedded.

No: usually PDF viewers will skip the prefix when displaying the names
of embedded fonts. You should see ‘embedded subset’ in the properties
dialog box next to the font name. If the font is not embedded you will
see an ‘Actual Font:’ below the name of the font.

> (I am using today's most recent version from the trunk)
>
> If they are not embedded, how can i embed them?
>
> tx.,
>
> Raphael

HTH,
Vincent