Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/22 21:59:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Server affinity instead of session affinity

Hi guys!

There is any available configuration to define server affinity instead of
session affinity? Our architecture setup is based on multiple JVMs (tomcat)
instances in each server (machine). The goal is to send all requests (within
a session) from a client browser to the same machine. Is it possible to
perform it using jvmRoute?

Thanks a lot

Re: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 11/23/2010 5:12 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 23/11/2010 00:06, Andrew Hole wrote:
>>> There is a middleware-to-middleware connection between Tomcat A and Tomcat B
>>> using RMI (point-to-point protocol) and Tomcat A has in-memory data useful
>>> to App3.
>>> The same aproach in the second server: applications in tomcat d have RMI
>>> communication to tomcat c.
>
>> I don't think there is a way to do this in mod_jk configuration. One way
>> to do this would be base affinity on client IP address. You should be
>> able to do something like the following in httpd:
>> - get client IP address
>> - if last octet is odd, redirect to machine 1
>> - else, redirect to machine 2
>
> What about Chuck's suggestion of having multiple JVMs with the same
> jvmRoute?

It won't work. Apps are routed independently.

If every Tomcat instance was running every app then the session ID can
be shared between the apps and you get more options.

Mark

Re: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mario Kleinsasser <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> André,
>
> On 11/23/2010 10:27 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> > With the configuration below and your explanations, I suppose that there
> > is some kind of load-balancing going on between the two machines.
> > What is used at the front-end to load-balance ?
> >
> > An idea (for the moment vague) would be to use some intelligent
> > front-end, which would decide (maybe as Mark wrote, in function of the
> > client IP address) to start chanelling one client to either machine 1 or
> > machine 2 - and within it to Tomcat A,B,C or D - , set a cookie, and use
> > this cookie later to keep sending the same client to the same back-end
> > machine.
> > Kind of a session on top of a session..
>
> I believe there was a presentation at ApacheCon where someone presented
> something like this. I didn't attend, but I heard that a relatively
> simply use of httpd's mod_headers was used to essentially synthesize
> sticky sessions.
>
> The same technique could be applied to do a sort of "server stickiness":
>
> 1. Check the request for a SERVER_AFFINITY cookie
> 2. If none exists, choose a server however you like and set
>   SERVER_AFFINITY=A/B or D/C
> 3. Given a server affinity, send the request to a specific back-end
>   server.
>
> Note that #3 can be achieved by simply choosing an AJP worker that is
> not a load-balancer.

I guess you mean that:

Header add Set-Cookie "ROUTEID=.%{BALANCER_WORKER_ROUTE}e; path=/"
env=BALANCER_ROUTE_CHANGED
<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
BalancerMember http://192.168.1.50:80 route=1
BalancerMember http://192.168.1.51:80 route=2
ProxySet stickysession=ROUTEID
</Proxy>
ProxyPass /test balancer://mycluster

>From http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html.

Thats working quite good even for not "Apache" backends like IIS. (To make
basic client affinity possible)

Maybe this could be used to stick the whole "Client" to one backend by the
first request?
If there is an entry context to set this cookie, it should be possible to
stick the client to the backend for the following contexts - maybe.

Mario

--
http://www.n0r1sk.com

Re: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com>.
And regarding your question;
~Why can you not run all apps within one single JVM/Tomcat ?
Because we have a lot of web applications and we are using 32-bit JVM.

Thanks a lot

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 23/11/2010 23:34, André Warnier wrote:
> Andrew Hole wrote:
>> I'm reading about domain directive in worker properties. I can setup
>> different workers to be in the same domain (p.e. a machine) and have
>> "domain
>> affinity". Do you have some idea how it really works?
>>

> No, but it kind of sounds like what you want to achieve, doesn't it ?
> You could try it, and see how it goes.
> It sounds like you would need to add one directive to each worker, like
>
> worker.tomcatA.domain=machine1
> worker.tomcatB.domain=machine1
>
> worker.tomcatC.domain=machine2
> worker.tomcatD.domain=machine2
>
> and it would then balance between machine1 and machine2, instead of
> between the workers themselves.  But it also sounds like tomcatA and
> tomcatB would have to be configured as a "cluster", and have some
> provision to share and replicate sessions between them.  That may be
> more work than you're aiming for.
>
> (I'm not sure, just guessing).

That isn't going to help keep sessions for app1 and sessions for app2 on
the same machine since httpd/IIS treats each application independently.
What it will do is require you to have clustering using the delta
manager (all sessions replicated to all nodes) working across all of the
nodes on a machine. That adds a lot of overhead for little benefit and
requires all applications are installed on every node.

Again, you'll need to look at an alternative LB approach. I've already
mentioned the client IP based approach. The other approach is adding
your own cookie (with path =/ so it applies to all apps) that you use to
make the LB sticky to a machine. You'll need to do a little config in
httpd.conf but it is quite simple.

Mark

Re: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Andrew Hole wrote:
> I'm reading about domain directive in worker properties. I can setup
> different workers to be in the same domain (p.e. a machine) and have "domain
> affinity". Do you have some idea how it really works?

No, but it kind of sounds like what you want to achieve, doesn't it ?
You could try it, and see how it goes.
It sounds like you would need to add one directive to each worker, like

worker.tomcatA.domain=machine1
worker.tomcatB.domain=machine1

worker.tomcatC.domain=machine2
worker.tomcatD.domain=machine2

and it would then balance between machine1 and machine2, instead of between the workers
themselves.  But it also sounds like tomcatA and tomcatB would have to be configured as a
"cluster", and have some provision to share and replicate sessions between them.  That may
be more work than you're aiming for.

(I'm not sure, just guessing).

So you do have an Apache in front with mod_jk then ?
Does this Apache do anything else than load-balancing the back-end Tomcats ?

And about your JVM's being 32-bit : any reason why that has to remain so ?
Are the machines themselves only 32-bit physically ?

Re: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
With the configuration below and your explanations, I suppose that there is some kind of
load-balancing going on between the two machines.
What is used at the front-end to load-balance ?

An idea (for the moment vague) would be to use some intelligent front-end, which would
decide (maybe as Mark wrote, in function of the client IP address) to start chanelling one
client to either machine 1 or machine 2 - and within it to Tomcat A,B,C or D - , set a
cookie, and use this cookie later to keep sending the same client to the same back-end
machine.
Kind of a session on top of a session..

There is also the question of why App1-4 have to be split between different Tomcats.

Posted by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com>.
An example:

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com>.
No... Session affinity (jvmRoute in JSESSION ID) implies sending to the same
tomcat instance (same JVM), not for the same machine.

Some idea?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 11/22/2010 09:59 PM, Andrew Hole wrote:
> Hi guys!
> There is any available configuration to define server affinity instead
> of session affinity? Our architecture setup is based on multiple JVMs
> (tomcat) instances in each server (machine). The goal is to send all
> requests (within a session) from a client browser to the same machine.

Still sounds like session affinity to me.

> Is it possible to perform it using jvmRoute?

Perhaps ask in a tomcat-related forum.

--
J.

RE: Server affinity instead of session affinity

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> Subject: Server affinity instead of session affinity

> The goal is to send all requests (within a session) from a
> client browser to the same machine. Is it possible to
> perform it using jvmRoute?

Can't you just set the jvmRoute value for each Tomcat on the same box to the same value?  That would presume you're doing something to share sessions across all of the Tomcats running on one box.

 - Chuck

P.S.  Don't cross-post.