Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by David Worms <da...@simpledesign.com> on 2003/02/06 06:57:04 UTC

[Merlin-AltRMI] did someone achieved it?

I am fighting very hard to have Merlin, cornerstone, and AltRMI working
toguether. I was almost there until I stuck 3 lines of code from
paradise. Maybe the problem is just about my lack of knowledge in using
AltRMI.

I have tried every possible combinations but none worked. All my
Cornerstone blocks get properly loaded and configured in Merlin. One
the server side, I have tried to configure the publisher with both
PartialSocketObjectStreamServer or PartialSocketCustomStreamServer. On
the client side, I get two type of problems depending on the host
context I use:

o Client side code 1:

Factory altrmiFactory = new ClientSideClassFactory();
HostContext hc = new SocketObjectStreamHostContext( "127.0.0.1", 8666 );

     generate:

Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.BadConnectionException: Cannot open
Stream(s) for socket: Cannot connect to remote AltRMI server. Have we a
mismatch on transports?
...client.impl.socket.AbstractSocketStreamInvocationHandler.<init>(Abstr
actSocketStreamInvocationHandler.java:66)
...client.impl.socket.SocketObjectStreamInvocationHandler.<init>(SocketO
bjectStreamInvocationHandler.java:48)
...client.impl.socket.SocketObjectStreamHostContext.<init>(SocketObjectS
treamHostContext.java:46)

o Client side code 2:

Factory altrmiFactory = new ClientSideClassFactory();
HostContext hc = new SocketCustomStreamHostContext( "127.0.0.1", 8666 );
altrmiFactory.setHostContext( hc, false );

     generate:

AltRMI service abnormally ended, Trying to reconnect (attempt 0)

Does someone has any idea/experience, or could direct me to a project
integrating merlin with AltRMI?

Thanks

David

Re: [Merlin-AltRMI] did someone achieved it?

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Lads,

Vinay wants to do this.  He knows Fortress and Merlin inside and out and is keen as mustard to do
in next.  He already did half the work, so is merely planning to iron out the wrinkles.

- Paul

Posted by David Worms <da...@simpledesign.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
David:

I have the inclusion of instrumentation on the wish list for Merlin and
I'm planning on supporting AltRMI and IIOP as transport mechanisms.  But
there are about three relatively big items on the agenda before it so
I'm not about to get into the area anytime soon.  Based on the info
below - I can't see any problems that point to Merlin. However (and I

David Worms wrote:

> I am fighting very hard to have Merlin, cornerstone, and AltRMI
> working  toguether. I was almost there until I stuck 3 lines of code
> from  paradise. Maybe the problem is just about my lack of knowledge
> in using  AltRMI.
>
> I have tried every possible combinations but none worked. All my
> Cornerstone blocks get properly loaded and configured in Merlin. One
> the server side, I have tried to configure the publisher with both
> PartialSocketObjectStreamServer or PartialSocketCustomStreamServer.
> On  the client side, I get two type of problems depending on the host
> context I use:
>

> o Client side code 1:
>
> Factory altrmiFactory = new ClientSideClassFactory();
> HostContext hc = new SocketObjectStreamHostContext( "127.0.0.1", 8666 );
>
>     generate:
>
> Exception in thread "main"
> org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.common.BadConnectionException: Cannot
> open  Stream(s) for socket: Cannot connect to remote AltRMI server.
> Have we a  mismatch on transports?
> ...client.impl.socket.AbstractSocketStreamInvocationHandler.<init>(Abstr
> actSocketStreamInvocationHandler.java:66)
> ...client.impl.socket.SocketObjectStreamInvocationHandler.<init>(SocketO
> bjectStreamInvocationHandler.java:48)
> ...client.impl.socket.SocketObjectStreamHostContext.<init>(SocketObjectS
> treamHostContext.java:46)
>
> o Client side code 2:
>
> Factory altrmiFactory = new ClientSideClassFactory();
> HostContext hc = new SocketCustomStreamHostContext( "127.0.0.1", 8666 );
> altrmiFactory.setHostContext( hc, false );
>
>     generate:
>
> AltRMI service abnormally ended, Trying to reconnect (attempt 0)
>

> Does someone has any idea/experience, or could direct me to a project
> integrating merlin with AltRMI?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Stephen J. McConnell