Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Enrico Migliore <en...@fatti.com> on 2006/04/07 09:47:35 UTC

[port library] windows manager

Tim Ellison wrote:

>Enrico Migliore wrote:
><snip>
>

>>problem 4:  Native code dependancies
>>---------------------------------------
>>The Harmony class library depends on the port layer:
>>
>>http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc/html/index.html
>>

>>Is this layer available for MSVC?
>>

>Yes it is written using MSVC (and in fact would require some
>modification to make it work with gcc on Windows).
>
>Regards,
>Tim

Hi Tim,

 does the MSVC port library support the windowing system of Windows?

 And yet, what happened to the proposal of using the Apache Portable
Runtime as an interface to the native layer?

Enrico

Re: [port library] windows manager

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
2006/4/7, Enrico Migliore <en...@fatti.com>:

> >>Does instead, the port library for UNIX support any windows manager?
> >
> >AFAIK you generally choose a windowing manager and code to it -- I'm
> >unaware of any cross-manager port libraries (but I'm not a UI person so
> >there may well be such a thing).

There is a wxWindows cross platform C++ library but it has a very big
abstraction layer overhead on top of platform APIs. Also there is GTK+ which
has a win32 port and some linux native applications like gimp and xchat have
win32 native ports to windows. QT is also free for non profit usage, but
only for non-profit.

I see what you are saying: all windowing native issues are managed by
> SWT or AWT, therefore the port library dosen't include and windowing
> native functions. Right?

I am not a UI person as well but as far as I know you are right. Porting
layers for UI are huge and not trivial, and there is nothing about UI in the
port library.

Re: [port library] windows manager

Posted by Enrico Migliore <en...@fatti.com>.
Hi Tim,

>Of course, the plan is for Harmony to have AWT and Swing code.

Ok

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Enrico Migliore wrote:
>> Enrico Migliore wrote:
>>> does the MSVC port library support the windowing system of Windows?
>>
>> No (but I can recommend SWT as a cross-platform windowing model ;-) )
>>
> the consequence of that is that, at the moment, the Harmony Class
> Library can only support console based applications, right?

Well we can't run apps that require AWT or Swing at the moment, but we
can run GUI apps (like Eclipse and RSSOwl) that are SWT-based.

Of course, the plan is for Harmony to have AWT and Swing code.

> I don't get exactly how and in which terms we can use the SWT
> (cross-platform GUI develiped by IBM)....

SWT is available under the EPL.  I was only teasing though, it is not a
solution for our need to write the JSE windowing libraries.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [port library] windows manager

Posted by Enrico Migliore <en...@fatti.com>.
Hi Tim,

>Enrico Migliore wrote:
>

>>does the MSVC port library support the windowing system of Windows?
>>

>No (but I can recommend SWT as a cross-platform windowing model ;-) )

the consequence of that is that, at the moment, the Harmony Class
Library can only support console based applications, right?

I don't get exactly how and in which terms we can use the SWT
(cross-platform GUI develiped by IBM)....

Does instead, the port library for UNIX support any windows manager?

>>And yet, what happened to the proposal of using the Apache Portable
>>Runtime as an interface to the native layer?
>>

>I believe it remains a proposal.  Artem Aliev did some work on using APR
>as a portability layer (by coding the Harmony portlib to APR) in late
>February, and reported his findings to the list[1].  AFAIK nobody has
>continued this work.
>
>[1]
>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3c187bb05d0602221037i50d755bdrbb30f95fcfc718ab@mail.gmail.com%3e
>
>Regards,