Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by jake buchholz <ja...@execpc.com> on 2000/12/02 05:13:00 UTC

Re: mod_include/6896: POST data can no longer be sent to a .shtml

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:29:46AM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> jake buchholz <ja...@execpc.com> wrote:
> >Server Version: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24_01 PHP/4.0.3pl1 FrontPage/4.0.4.3
>
> What modules did you add to your 1.3.12 installation?

mod_perl, php4, and improved mod_frontpage...  i can try to dig up
exact version numbers if you need 'em...

> >A customer's web site contained a one-liner in their index.shtml:
> >	<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/cgiprog"-->
> >the CGI program is a self-contained perl CGI script that takes POST data (if
> >present) and acts on it.  If there isn't any POST data, it generates a form
> >that when submitted POSTs data back to itself (at the non-/cgi-bin URL).
> >This was working until the server was upgraded from 1.3.12 to 1.3.14, and it
> >now results in:
> >	Method Not Allowed
> >	The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /index.shtml
>
> I haven't tried to reproduce this problem, but from looking at the
> changelog and the differences between some of the relevant code I
> can't see how this can have happened. Can you reproduce the problem
> with a vanilla Apache installation -- no additional modules beyond
> the base distribution?

i haven't had time (nor do i expect to have time...  have a 40 page
paper and a seminar presintation to do for next week...  :(

> (I hope I can get this email out before we go for releasing 1.3.15 on
> Monday -- I'm on a plane at the moment and I'll be on vacation this
> weekend with strictly limited connectivity.)

sorry to rain on 1.3.15, but this thing was really unexpected...  i
never even figured that anyone would have done this sort of thing
until the trouble report came in from a customer (who was presenting
the site before investors that day...  yikes...)

the only thing i really found on bugs.apache.org that remotely
resembled this is from PR 1759...

--
Jake Buchholz, Senior Systems Administrator     :           /~\
Hosting Solutions Lead R&D Engineer             :    ASCII  \ /  Against