Posted to dev@curator.apache.org by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com> on 2013/07/22 19:15:25 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator

The Apache Curator project entered the Incubator in March of 2013. Since then we have added two new committers/PPMC members from diverse organizations. The codebase has steadily grown and we have made three releases following the ASF policies and guidelines. Thanks to the excellent mentorship we have received through this period we have learned to self-govern and grow our community using accepted Apache practices. Curator continues to attract interest from contributors and users across the world. Given these milestones, I strongly feel that Curator is ready to graduate from the Incubator.

The first step towards graduation is to vote as a community that Curator is ready to graduate. If the vote is successful, we will draft a board resolution proposal and call a vote on the general Incubator list. The complete graduation process is described below [1].

Please cast your votes:

[  ]  +1 Graduate Curator from Incubator
[  ]  +0 Indifferent to graduation status of Curator
[  ]  -1 Reject graduation of Curator from Incubator

This vote will remain open for at least 72 hours from now.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Thank you,

Jordan (this email serves as a +1 from me)

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator

Posted by Jay Zarfoss <jz...@netflix.com>.
+1

Posted by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Eric Tschetter <ch...@apache.org>.
+1, I sent this earlier, but was told that it was not delivered so am
sending again using my apache.org account.  If this actually gets delivered
twice, I expect the votes to be added together and squared to a full +4.

--Eric

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sent from my iPhone

Fwd: [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
FYI - The Curator community is taking an initial vote regarding graduation.

-Jordan

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for graduation.

thanks
mahadev

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about Jordan's full motivations, but I can say from my
> perspective it really sucked that I gave him a bunch of patches in early
> April, they didn't get applied until May because we were waiting on a
> release vote for 2.0.0, which was the exact same code as what was the most
> current, stable version on github.  Then when we decided we were ready to
> release the changes (prompted by a user wanting a fix in an artifact they
> could actually depend on), we sat there for two weeks waiting on a release
> vote from the mentors, who had to be prompted multiple times and I don't
> believe know the code or have any real understanding about whether it is
> fit for release.

I don't think that a release vote should block patches getting applied, we
have very advance SCM that have well known patterns to overcome that.

But I agree, the vote thing can be blamed on the mentors, we were all on
vacation or busy with other commitments.

> During that two weeks the code sat, it aged a bit like wine, except when we
> uncorked it, it hadn't actually changed.

During this whole time from April, I maintained my own fork of the project
> outside of apache with artifacts deployed to my own artifactory because I
> am not willing to slow down my development cycle.
>
> I guess you are now a committer, and are much more free to get those
changes in when you feel comfortable, and actually start release votes.

> So far, my impression of the transfer to Apache is that it is now more
> painful to actually get changes into a state where other things can depend
> on them, which seems like the opposite of what you want to increase
> adoption of a library.

I believe there are two (maybe three) things that can slow a project down a
bit in Apache :
   - Votes usually have to wait 72 hours (and during incubation, double of
that)
   - Any issue that you require help from Infrastructure team.
   - Making consensus on project direction (which you guys haven't
experienced any yet)

> All of this is aside from the general feeling that its significantly more
> difficult to actually interact with Apache infrastructure than GitHub, but
> that won't be fixed by becoming a TLP.

Well, I really think this is a amazing project community, Jordan has been
doing a tremendous job on the last few months here in Apache, but I just
want to make sure the new committers are familiar with the "Apache Way" and
can handle the project (e.g. by doing releases and adding new community
members to the project), and couple more months here should not make any
perceptible impact to the project, and as a Mentor I'll make sure that this
is true and new votes and other issues that requires mentor attention are
resolved asap within the process time frame.

Hope that you guys decide to stay.

Posted by Evaristo José Camarero <ev...@yahoo.es>.

+1

Said that:
Thanks to Jordan for your work, for the effort and for being so responsive.
Honestly, if I were Jordan I would like to receive more encouraging words from some Apache mentors. Sometimes the blocking issue for a release has been that 5 lines description is missing in the web or similar things. That's also important but probably can be managed in a different way, without blocking the project milestones

Regards,

Evaristo

________________________________
On Wednesday, July 24, 2013, Enis Söztutar wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Eric Tschetter <echeddar@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't know about Jordan's full motivations, but I can say from my
> > perspective it really sucked that I gave him a bunch of patches in early
> > April, they didn't get applied until May because we were waiting on a
> > release vote for 2.0.0, which was the exact same code as what was the
> most
> > current, stable version on github.  Then when we decided we were ready to
> > release the changes (prompted by a user wanting a fix in an artifact they
> > could actually depend on), we sat there for two weeks waiting on a
> release
> > vote from the mentors, who had to be prompted multiple times and I don't
> > believe know the code or have any real understanding about whether it is
> > fit for release.
> >
> > During that two weeks the code sat, it aged a bit like wine, except when
> we
> > uncorked it, it hadn't actually changed.
> >

> Eric, there is no technical reason why the commits have to be frozen while
> a release candidate is going on. You can just create a branch for the
> candidate release, and keep on committing to master branches.
>
> As one of the mentors, I am sorry to cause that. But remember that the
> mentors and other committers might have other duties and day jobs. The
> rational for 72 hours for the voting has been explained several times. It
> is there to give every body, and people in other time zones a chance to
> test and verify the release candidate.
>

> > During this whole time from April, I maintained my own fork of the
> project
> > outside of apache with artifacts deployed to my own artifactory because I
> > am not willing to slow down my development cycle.
> >
> > So far, my impression of the transfer to Apache is that it is now more
> > painful to actually get changes into a state where other things can
> depend
> > on them, which seems like the opposite of what you want to increase
> > adoption of a library.
> >

> This is a matter of using SCM correctly. Nothing is specific about Apache
> process. You can create as many branches as you need, and people can
> collaborate on these.

Perhaps there is miscommunication here.  I completely understand that I can
continue modifying the code in a branch, that is not the problem.  The
problem is that for my other projects to use my code I need a jar in maven.
A jar in maven means I need a tag in SCM and that tag should be a proper
release artifact.

This is the way that my world operates right now.  We do not build from
source and include those dependencies, we declare dependencies on pre-built
artifacts that have a well-known tag backing them in case modifications
need to be made.  The way to make these artifacts is to cut a release.  A
release might have bugs, it might not be entirely correct, but it is a
frozen snapshot of the code with a well-known artifact built around it.
The existence of bugs is less important because we use semantic versioning
to communicate the binary compatibility of the release.  Numbers are cheap,
slowing down development and progress is expensive.

> > All of this is aside from the general feeling that its significantly more
> > difficult to actually interact with Apache infrastructure than GitHub,
> but
> > that won't be fixed by becoming a TLP.
> >

> That is generally true. Though, having seen many large projects (hadoop,
> lucene, hbase, etc) I think that it is not as bad.

The existence of people who have overcome some adversity is not an
indication that said adversity is (a) warranted or (b) a good thing.

That said, I will stick by Jordan in whichever decision he takes.  Curator
is a body of code that makes it easier to use ZK, I'll continue with it and
operate in whatever world I need to operate in whether it is labelled
Apache or not.  I personally find Apache has made it harder to make changes
and push the project forward (even as a committer, there are technical
infrastructure hurdles that get in my way, mostly the lack of a
fork/edit/pull request work flow with built-in code review tools, I.e.
github).

I offered my thoughts as an answer to what I think would improve as a TLP.
I'm not trying to flame nor am I trying to actually push an agenda.  These
are my candid thoughts as someone who has primarily only interacted with
the current young, inexperienced, bleeding edge of how Open Source
can operate.

--Eric

Posted by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
This is besides the point. Curator is consumed as JARs on Maven Central. As an aside, Apache is way out of step with advances in the open source community. It is incredibly unusual to consume an OSS project as source code today. OSS projects are consumed using a dependency management system such as Maven/Gradle and it's consumed as binaries.

-Jordan

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
I am glad that we were able to resolve the issues. Thanks for the
discussion.

Enis

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Take a look at this section:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-community-vote

and the next "Preparing a Charter" (etc...)

Patrick

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Jordan Zimmerman

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <
jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> I assume now I close the vote and move it to general@, right?
>
> -Jordan

Yes.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
Thank you.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
Thank you!

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Back from a long break.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
Can you start the vote now, though? We still need to have a vote to do a release in this case (I assume) - so 72 hours times 2.

-JZ

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Even though, I agree that 5 active committers is a sensible number of
> committers before graduation, I've seen projects being successful TLPs with
> less. I also don't feel that that multiple release managers are required
> (they are really nice to have though).

I understand the discomfort of some of the mentors, so I'll volunteer to
> manage the next release.
>
> On the other hand I see nothing wrong with a project staying in the
> incubator longer. It only costs 72 hours per release and nothing more.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

+1 to all you said, and this is really the attitude I'd expect from the
project. Also, thanks for volunteering for handling the next release (which
can be done anytime).

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <
jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping that the velocity can increase. The pace of the Incubator is
> horrible. I understand that the Curator team needs to learn how to do
> things the Apache Way, so I've accepted that pace. But, every item on the
> Curator Project Incubation Status is done and I would like to resume
> Curator's fast pace releases. Having to wait 72 hours times 2 for every
> release (and having to cajole people to vote) is taxing. It's my
> understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that a TLP is more in control of
> it's releases. i.e. the Committers can do a vote/release without having to
> secure mentors votes and a general list vote.
>
> -Jordan

As a TLP, you don't have the concept of mentors, and all PMC votes are
binding... But you still have to wait 72 hours for a vote cycle.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Although I hope it does not come to that, if you feel that going some other
route is more meaningful for the project, you can definitely start a
discussion around retirement. See this page:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adarsh Bhat <ad...@gmail.com>.
I don't know much about the Apache graduation process. But I use and love Curator. So here's a +1.

Adarsh Bhat
HP Software

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <
jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:

> FYI - those not on the project team: feel free to vote on the graduation.
> The more total community support we have the more likely we'll get +1'd for
> graduation.
>
> -JZ
>
> On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:15 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The Apache Curator project entered the Incubator in March of 2013. Since
> then we have added two new committers/PPMC members from diverse
> organizations. The codebase has steadily grown and we have made three
> releases following the ASF policies and guidelines. Thanks to the excellent
> mentorship we have received through this period we have learned to
> self-govern and grow our community using accepted Apache practices. Curator
> continues to attract interest from contributors and users across the world.
> Given these milestones, I strongly feel that Curator is ready to graduate
> from the Incubator.
> >
> > The first step towards graduation is to vote as a community that Curator
> is ready to graduate. If the vote is successful, we will draft a board
> resolution proposal and call a vote on the general Incubator list. The
> complete graduation process is described below [1].
> >
> > Please cast your votes:
> >
> > [  ]  +1 Graduate Curator from Incubator
> > [  ]  +0 Indifferent to graduation status of Curator
> > [  ]  -1 Reject graduation of Curator from Incubator
> >
> > This vote will remain open for at least 72 hours from now.
> >
> > [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Jordan (this email serves as a +1 from me)

--
*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
I would have to vote -0, based on the fact that I would have liked to wait
a bit longer for a larger set of committers. Though, there is definitely
good progress in terms of diversification though and graduation goals.

Looking at the recent commits, I can only see Jordan on commits on core
pieces (except for build and documentation issues), and I fear only time
will tell whether the project is truly not-dependent on a single committer.

Enis

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
The community vote to graduate has passed unanimously (based on revised votes).

+1s Binding:
Patrick Hunt
Eric Tschetter
Jay Zarfoss
Jordan Zimmerman
Ioannis Canellos
Enis Söztutar
Luciano Resende
Mahadev Konar

+1s Non-binding:
Christian Posta
Adarsh Bhat

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.