Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Garry De Toffoli <ga...@telemar.it> on 2001/05/03 14:34:18 UTC

Memory usage

Hi to all,

    I have in trouble with the memory usage with Tomcat 3.21, on WinNt 2000 and Jdk 1.3 of Sun.

    the problem is that any operation does not release the memory occuped;

    to control the memory usage I use the Task Manager;

    when Tomcat start, the memory used from the process Java is of 9608 K;

    when I request a Jsp page that has an error, like a variable not declared, the memory used is 11868K; if I wait for 1 ay also, this value does not change, so the memory used is not released,

    running a correct Jsp page, the memory used increase, and this is not released yet;
    I have written a log on the finalize method of my class, and this is called, so the garbage collector release all my object.

    This behavoir is normal? Probably changing the version of Tomcat this problem may be corrected.

    What do you think about this?

    Thank you.

RE: Memory usage

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
I found this behaviour on Linux was cured by using hotspot. I don't know how
to use hotspot under windows, but I think its a seperate executable (in the
JDK)

Re: Memory usage

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Garry De Toffoli wrote:

|     What do you think about this?

How's the "long run behaviour"? It might be that tomcat is initializing
itself (creates servlets and the like) as you go along, and that after
"some time" things will even out and go up and down just a little...

--
Mvh,
Endre