Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tech Bolek <te...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2016/02/03 19:29:51 UTC

unable to delete a topic

Try as I might I've found it impossible to delete a topic in kafka 0.9.0.
I set delete.topic.enable in config.properties.
I tried kafka-topics.sh with the delete command .I responds with: "topic marked for deletetion" but after a 30 minute wait the topic was till there.
Then I stopped kafka and wiped out the kafka-logs/<the-topic>*. I logged on to zookeepr and did "rmr /brokers/topics/<the-topic>. The zookeeper reported the topis as gone. But when I bring kafka back up, out of nowhere the topics pop up again.

Re: unable to delete a topic

Posted by Tech Bolek <te...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Thanks. Setting auto.create.topics.enable=false made the difference.

    On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:45 PM, John Holland <jo...@objectpartners.com> wrote:

 What I ended up doing, after having similar issues your having, was:
 - stop all the brokers
 - rm -rf all the topic data across the brokers
 - delete the topic node in ZK
 - set auto.create.topics.enable=false in the server.properties
 - start the brokers up again

The topic stayed deleted this way.  In my case the topic was misconfigured
so I created it again and then did a rolling restart after setting
auto.create.topics.enable back to true.

I'm wondering if I have a rogue service in my environment publishing to the
topic in question.

Re: unable to delete a topic

Posted by John Holland <jo...@objectpartners.com>.