Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org> on 2016/10/11 18:31:42 UTC

location of icons

Hi all,

I just upgraded my os from fbsd-9.2 to 10.3 and installed aoo 4.1.2.
The installation appears to have gone well, but when I start up my desktop
(xfce4) the launchers with shortcuts to aoo are missing the icons.
My /usr/local/applications/openoffice-4.1.2/*.desktop files have entries
in them which look like:
  Icon=openoffice4-calc

However, when I open the xfec4 panel / launcher to edit it, the icon
entry says "No Icon" and when I go to select an icon there are no aoo
icons present.

Can someone tell me which option is needed to load the icons, which port /
package they are in, and which file they are supposed to be in?  I would
have thought they were supposed to get loaded with the base aoo port.
How do the icons get located without an actual path name in the specification?

Thanks for any hints,

Gary

Re: location of icons

Posted by Gary Aitken <ah...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 10/11/16 13:30, Hagar Delest wrote:
> In xfce (I use xubuntu), the icon chooser has a drop down list with
> an entry for graphic files (rough translation from my French
> interface). If selected, it enables the path field to navigate the
> HD.

Hmmm.  Here's what I see:
  I have a panel of launchers at the bottom of the display.
  Right click on aoo launcher for writer, choose properties
  "Launcher" dialog displays with "OpenOffice Writer" as the only
    entry in the "General" tab.
  Click on 6th button in the right column, "Edit the currently selected item"
  "Edit Launcher" dialog displays for Name: OpenOffice Writer
    Icon: is empty; click on it
  "Select an Icon" dialog displays
    "Select icon from:" drop-down is first item;
      these are filters, not a way to navigate
    "Search icon:" entry field is second item;
      used to filter which icons display based on the text name of the icon
      has a button on the right used to clear the field
    I see no other data entries except for the display of possible icons.
Is this the same chooser you're using?
I tried everything in the settings manager and don't see an icon chooser,
although I may have not included it if it's optional in the xfce4 install
process.

I'll keep poking around.

Thanks

Re: location of icons

Posted by Hagar Delest <de...@gmail.com>.
In xfce (I use xubuntu), the icon chooser has a drop down list with an entry for graphic files (rough translation from my French interface). If selected, it enables the path field to navigate the HD.

As a workaround, you can create a custom desktop entry in your ~/.local/share/applications folder. Then put the full path of the icon in the icon line.

Hagar

Re: location of icons

Posted by Gary Aitken <ah...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 10/11/16 13:36, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
> I have Slackware Linux, not freebsd, but on my system the icons are
> cached and there is a program called /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache,
> which is supposed to update the cache when new icons are stored in
> /usr/(local/)share/icons/hicolor.  I have a manpage on it, so you
> could try it to see if you have it.  When I install AOO, my
> installation script does this caching and I have no problems with the
> icons in xfce4.  It is also possible that xfce4 is expecting the
> icons to be in /usr/share/icons rather than /usr/local/share/icons.
> I have had such problems with other programs in the past.

excellent, that did it.
Thanks

> Note: xfce4 expects the desktop files (*.desktop) to be +x, otherwise
> I get a popup about the file being untrusted.  It allows you to
> bypass the popup, but it is annoying.  I set the desktop files in
> /opt/openoffice4/share/xdg/ to +x to resolve this. Misusing the
> executable flags for trustworthyness is an xfce4 kluge, but that is
> the way it is.

hmm.  mine are 444 and I don't get anything.  Running xfce 4.12

Thanks again!

Re: location of icons

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.
[...]

hth: