Posted to users@solr.apache.org by "Balabag, Jonathan" <jo...@accenture.com.INVALID> on 2021/12/29 18:38:34 UTC

SOLR's Log4j 1.2 CVE-2021-4104 Vulnerability

Hi,

Good day!

I'm a software developer from Accenture that supports one of their AEM projects that bundles the SOLR software.
The reason why I'm writing this letter to you because I want to ask for an advice about the controversial CVE-2021-4104<https://www.solarwinds.com/trust-center/security-advisories/cve-2021-4104> vulnerability.
Currently our project is being scanned vulnerable because it is using Log4j 1.2 even we had already applied the mitigation by removing JMSAppender from the jar file and not setting as default appender.

Can you confirm if the mitigation is enough to avoid such vulnerability?

Thank you and looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Jon
JONATHAN M. BALABAG
Accenture Advanced Technology Centers in the Philippines
AICPA AO - AEM
Global One Building, Eastwood City,
Direct Line: +63 2 580 5888
Email: jonathan.balabag@accenture.com<ma...@accenture.com>
Accenture Confidential

________________________________

www.accenture.com

Re: SOLR's Log4j 1.2 CVE-2021-4104 Vulnerability

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/29/2021 11:38 AM, Balabag, Jonathan wrote:
> Currently our project is being scanned vulnerable because it is using Log4j 1.2 even we had already applied the mitigation by removing JMSAppender from the jar file and not setting as default appender.
>
> Can you confirm if the mitigation is enough to avoid such vulnerability?

If the log4j config that Solr is using has not been changed to use the
JMS Appender, then it is not affected by that vulnerability.  Removing
the class entirely from the jar is additional assurance that you're OK.

Thanks,
Shawn