Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Alexander Blotny <Al...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> on 2009/06/09 11:25:37 UTC

[SCXML] BPEL vs SCXML

Hi,

in my institute we have an implementation using BPEL for orchestration of
processes in our testbed of an IMS core. Which is an IP based
telecommunication environment. We encountered some real time issues using
BPEL due to several web service calls. Now I am searching for another
solution for the orchestration. SCXML seems to be an interesting approach as
an generic state machine language. In particular because of the
implementation with the possibility to run java code in the states. I would
like to ask if someone has experiences using SCXML for this purpose. I am
also interested in some opinions on a comparison of BPEL and SCXML because I
am quite unsure if it is even possible to do that. Maybe someone knows some
interesting links to that topic.

Thanks.

Greetings,
Alex

Re: [SCXML] BPEL vs SCXML

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Alexander
Blotny<Al...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in my institute we have an implementation using BPEL for orchestration of
> processes in our testbed of an IMS core. Which is an IP based
> telecommunication environment. We encountered some real time issues using
> BPEL due to several web service calls. Now I am searching for another
> solution for the orchestration. SCXML seems to be an interesting approach as
> an generic state machine language. In particular because of the
> implementation with the possibility to run java code in the states. I would
> like to ask if someone has experiences using SCXML for this purpose.
<snip/>

With limited information, its hard to say, but SCXML is designed for
control abstraction and orchestration. Some usecases are at the bottom
of the home page:

  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/

Following those links will give some details on those.

The user guide in the LHS menu has more details about usage patterns etc.

> I am
> also interested in some opinions on a comparison of BPEL and SCXML because I
> am quite unsure if it is even possible to do that.
<snap/>

Starting with the obvious, BPEL is more geared towards business
processes, SCXML is generic (there is even a Mozilla plugin for
controlling behavior on the glass, so it spans all tiers). BPEL
provides more support for process concerns in the enterprise, SCXML
can be used for similar purposes but with more work (putting it
differently, SCXML begins as a much more lightweight engine out of the
box). BPEL is more for active systems, SCXML is more for reactive
systems (its the same difference that causes UML to differentiate
between Activity Diagrams and State Charts).

If you have any other questions about the library itself, let us know.

-Rahul