Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2002/02/07 22:46:57 UTC

Experimental 1.6.0 release

Hey All,

I've made a beta release of XML-Xerces-1.6.0_0. It can be located at:

  http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-p/experimental/

The only new features added are support for Xerces-C-1.6.0. Please let
me know how well this works, and I'll release a full version ASAP.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: Experimental 1.6.0 release

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"John Utz" <ut...@singingfish.com> writes:

> note that the README still indicates the need to have 1.5.2

Caught that one, thanks.

jas.

Re: t/Schema FAILS Re: Experimental 1.6.0 release

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"John Utz" <ut...@singingfish.com> writes:

> hacking the explicit path to the schema into personal-schema.xml solved
> the problem. that's not surprising, it's a pretty typical problem and a
> pretty typical hack. having this show up in Xerces-P is actually
> *reassuring* :-)
>
> it might be appropriate to alter Schema.t to resolve the location of the
> .xsd file instead of hacking the instance file because that way we avoid
> making the instance file look different than the one shipped with the
> other Xercen? Xercii? ( speak up all you latin speakers! :-) ).

I'm not sure why it's failing in your case. There's actually a bit of
code in t/TestUtils.pm that is supposed to resolve the file path. In
any case, I've decided to just switch to an entity resolver that
supplies the files.

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.
me again! :-)

Re: More Experimental 1.6 Release questions

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.
Wow, this has been some great info!

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, David Starks-Browning wrote:

> On  8 Feb 02, Jason E. Stewart writes:
> > "John Utz" <ut...@singingfish.com> writes:
> >
> > > 1. Any reason why this shouldnt build/run on a win2kbox with cygwin and
> > > the latest activestate perl ( i am pretty sure that's 5.6.1 or so )?
> > > given a choice, i tend to prefer unix. but since the expensive part
> > > of this project is a windows app, and it's all supposed to be on one
> > > box, i am sorta stuck.
> >
> > I am led to believe that it is now possible to compile Xerces-C on
> > cygwin. Once upon a time it was not.
> >
> > However, if you compile Xerces under cygwin wit g++, you'll have to
> > compile perl with g++ as well - there's no standard ABI for C++, so
> > all your code has to be compiled using the same compiler. ActiveState
> > uses VC++.

blargh. that's a pretty vital fact i suspect. :-(. The app that i am
working with (Virage Video Application Server) actually makes heavy use of
perl but i dont know if they are linking in native bits somewhere. i'll
have to do some spelunking. if they dont have some special virage native
interface pm's then i am probably ok.

> Cygwin Setup now (optionally) includes perl.  Presumably you'd have
> better chance of success with that.  I haven't tried it myself.  Our
> four unix platforms is challenging enough for me at the moment...

oh duh. that's right. i installed that! and now i've installed
activestate as well.  great! :-(. i wish i had thought of that when i was
installing the virage stuff.

Posted by David Starks-Browning <st...@ebi.ac.uk>.

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"John Utz" <ut...@singingfish.com> writes:

> 1. Any reason why this shouldnt build/run on a win2kbox with cygwin and
> the latest activestate perl ( i am pretty sure that's 5.6.1 or so )?
> given a choice, i tend to prefer unix. but since the expensive part
> of this project is a windows app, and it's all supposed to be on one
> box, i am sorta stuck.

I am led to believe that it is now possible to compile Xerces-C on
cygwin. Once upon a time it was not.

However, if you compile Xerces under cygwin wit g++, you'll have to
compile perl with g++ as well - there's no standard ABI for C++, so
all your code has to be compiled using the same compiler. ActiveState
uses VC++.

> 2. i am trying to make the schema for my application be the normative
> reference for both the data input *and* for the UI.
>
> so, if i have 3 elements in my schema named foo, bar and baz, i want to
> have a ui that references/incorporates foo, bar and baz. and when we
> change the name of baz to snert, i dont want to have to recode the ui.
>
> so, in xerces-j i could pick the thing apart using
> org.apache.xerces.dom3.as.
>
> but DOM3 isnt implemented in xerces-c/p yet. correct?

Correct.

> so, what's the old fashioned DOM2 way to pick apart the schema? I note
> that XMLValidator has a getGrammar that returns a Grammar object, but i
> dont see the definition of a Grammar in the class docs. is a Grammar a DOM
> of the schema? if i am barking up the wrong tree with Grammar (oh, bad,
> inadvertent, geek pun....), what data structure should i be looking at to
> snag the element descriptions out of?

With DTD's it was very hard to get at this information. Every answer I
ever got was: wait for DOM3 support. It might be easier now with
schemas, but I wouldn't hold my breath. However, this question is best
asked on the xerces-c-dev list, since I really don't know the answer.

jas.

More Experimental 1.6 Release questions

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.
1. Any reason why this shouldnt build/run on a win2kbox with cygwin and
the latest activestate perl ( i am pretty sure that's 5.6.1 or so )?

given a choice, i tend to prefer unix. but since the expensive part of
this project is a windows app, and it's all supposed to be on one box, i
am sorta stuck.

if the answer is i dunno, that's fine. i'll try it and report back. if the
answer is that it cant work for some reason, then that's good to know,
cause then i gotta come up with a new plan. :-)

Re: builds on redhat 7 Re: Experimental 1.6.0 release

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"John Utz" <ut...@singingfish.com> writes:

> hotay, so far so good. it built. no warnings

Glad to hear it.

> what's a good trivial test of the XMLSchema features? or would that be
> something that i should contribute? :-)

I would be grateful to have more than the pathetic test that I wrote.

> oh, and what about IDOM vs DOM? i've followed that thread. should i just
> use IDOM and forget about DOM?

Actually, I will be completely replacing DOM with IDOM. For now, use
IDOM, and then for the next release you can just: 's/IDOM/DOM/g'

There are unsolvable memory problems with the current DOM that are
solved under IDOM.

jas.

builds on redhat 7 Re: Experimental 1.6.0 release

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.