Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Christopher Collins <cc...@apache.org> on 2016/04/07 04:24:44 UTC

Rename newtmgr protocol

Hello all,

There are two things called "newtmgr":

1. A simple command-response protocol used for interfacing with mynewt
   devices (the newtmgr server code is at core:libs/newtmgr).
2. A CLI tool which communicates with mynewt devics via the newtmgr protocol
   (newt:newtmgr).

I have had a hard time discussing both of these entities due to the
overloaded name.  In the interest of preventing an endless series of
"who's on first" fiascos, I propose we rename the name of the protocol.

I suggest we rename the protocol to: nmp.  I don't really care about the
name, though, as long as it is unique :).

Alternatively, the tool could be renamed, but I thought newtmgr sounds
more like a tool than a protocol.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Rename newtmgr protocol

Posted by James Pace <pa...@runtime.io>.
Me too. I think this is a good idea and like the name as it clearly denotes “protocol”.

Re: Rename newtmgr protocol

Posted by Vipul Rahane <vi...@runtime.io>.
I agree as well.

Re: Rename newtmgr protocol