Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Peter D." <pe...@hotmail.com> on 2015/02/23 11:14:41 UTC

Problem: Canon MG5650 printer with Open Office documents

Monday 23 February 2015, 10h14

Good morning!

I have a problem ...My major problem may be my ignorance (lack of knowledge & lack of skill) using a PC ... ???Please will anyone offering wise counsel bear this in mind

-----------------

Background
For 6 or 8 years (or longer)  I have been using Open Office to write lettersInitially I used a Canon i560 to print these lettersLatterly I used a Canon iP4600 to print
Last week the iP4600 ceased to function
I bought a (new) Canon MG5650 from Tesco

---------

I installed the MG5650
The printer dd not function wellIt crunched up the first sheet of paperIt punched two holes in the second sheet of paper
(  I was worried and  (Friday 21 February 2015)  I consulted with Canon Support in The Netherlands - at length )
Eventually (with the guidance of Canon Support) it began to perform properly (it seemed to perform very well ... ?)BUT - the printer would not print letters from Open Office "Documents"Canon Support said the problem was with Open Office, not with the printer
(  By this time it was 17h00, and, Canon Support closed )
I tried to print (click on the icon on the third row from the top of the screen) a letter from Open Office "Documents"I could not print
(  I was worried and (Saturday 22 February 2015) I consulted Tesco Support - at even greater length (for hours)  )
The iP4600 was still the printer shown (the default printer)
Having installed the MG5650 ... with the help of Tesco Support I tried to delete (remove) the iP4600 from the systemEntering " Devices & printers " I identified and deleted the iP4600( At least, the iP4600 vanished from the page )
But - when I tried to print, the iP4600appeared as the default printer
I again looked in " Devices & printers " - the iP4600 was (still) displayed; it had "returned"I again deleted the iP4600But the iP4600 returned - again and again
Eventually ... the iP4600 vanished from "Devices & printers" (it seems it has vanished)Eventually ... only the MG5650 is shown in "Devices & Printers"When I click on the icon "print" the default printer now is the MG5650 - this is progress !!!
(  All this about deleting the iP4600 may be irrelevant - I do not know   Accordingly, I tell you, I inform you - I am sorry if this is wasting your time )

NOW TO THE MATTER IN HAND - THE PROBLEM

(Using the MG5650)  I was still unable to print properly from Open Office "Documents"
Tesco Support guided me through all manner of efforts to resolve this problem( Tesco Support devoted more than 2 hours to me and my problem)
 Tesco Support established the printer functions satisfactorily when printing from other sources ...
When printing from Open Office  "Documents"  2 problems are manifest (or appear to be manifest)
First:  (in spite of the "display" showing the letter correctly)  the print begins three-quarters of the way down the page ...          then continues to print previous letters stored in "Documents"          the printer does not start from the beginning of the letter selected         Second: it seems the printer sometimes "picks up", prints two letters (documents) one over the other on the one piece of paper             thus two series of printing overlay each other - both semi obscured
Tesco Support spent even more time with me ...Tesco Support suggested trying Libre Office ...We didThe result was the same as with Open Office - both problems manifest
The splendid fellow at Tesco Support did all he was able ...He contends it is an Open Office problem, not a printer problem
(  Permit me to remind you, Gentle reader, I have used Open Office successfully for many years, printing with Canon printers  (i560 and iP4600)  successfully. The problem only appeared last week when I changed the iP4600 for a MG5650 )
Does anyone have a solution ... please?

Peter D. Gallagher49 Rowans ParkLymingtonHampshire SO41 9GETel: 01590 670067

Re: Problem: Canon MG5650 printer with Open Office documents

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Peter, here are some random thoughts:

Have you tried downloading the most current printer driver from Canon?

If your computer is 6 to 8 years old (or older, as you say), it could be that the printer driver is incompatible. You may need to download an earlier driver.

Please tell us which OS you are running and which version of that OS.

Jim

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:14 23/02/2015 +0000, Peter Gallagher wrote:
>Latterly I used a Canon iP4600 to print. Last week the iP4600 ceased
>to function. I bought a (new) Canon MG5650 ... . I installed the MG5650.

This has a USB interface. You seem to have kept your operating system
a secret; are you using Windows? If so, you probably need to have
installed the relevant software on your system *before* connecting
the printer. (There are often warnings to that effect on such
devices.) Did you do that? If not, you may have created problems for yourself.

>I tried to print (click on the icon on the third row from the top of
>the screen) a letter from Open Office "Documents" I could not print

That may not be an appropriate test. Your existing document will
necessarily previously have been printed on a different printer.
Depending on your settings, the Print File Directly button you
describe prints either on the default printer (and you may or may not
have set your new printer as default) or the printer previously used
for this document. If you have a tick at Tools | Options... |
Load/Save | General | Load | Load printer settings with the document,
the button will attempt to print your document to your previous,
faulty - probably now missing - printer. Even if not, it will print
to the default printer, and that won't work if you have not set your
new printer as the default in Windows.

>The iP4600 was still the printer shown (the default printer)

So that explains the above behaviour.

>Having installed the MG5650 ...

Oh dear: that sounds as if you *did* connect the printer before
installing the software.

>When printing from Open Office ... the print begins three-quarters
>of the way down the page then continues to print previous letters
>stored in "Documents"

It's very difficult to see how OpenOffice could print these other
documents - which you had presumably not even opened.

At 12:45 23/02/2015 +0000, Peter Gallagher wrote:
>I wrote: ... the printer functions satisfactorily when printing from
>other sources. The "other source" was a page from BBC news.
>The printer printed from three-quarters of the way down the page
>(missed the rest of the letter) and the printer printed (upside
>down) the header and the end of the BBC page. I think this is odd !

You will be printing this web page from your browser, not from
OpenOffice, and the identical problem you see there clearly shows
that the problem is not with OpenOffice (or your browser) but with
the printer or printer driver or installation or operating system, I think.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker