Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joe Seeley <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/16 16:50:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache LDAP authentication prompts multiple times for login/password.

I am reposting this since I have not found a solution and never got a reply
on the original post.  I've seen through Google others with the same
problem, but never a solution.  I'm hopeful that someone knows what's going
on...

I am trying to use Apache LDAP authentication and proxying to make sure
users exist in our LDAP repository.  This is working, but the user is always
prompted to login multiple times.  In Firefox the users are prompted twice
for their login; in IE the users are prompted three times for their login.

My conf file looks something like this.

ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPass / http://localhost:5000/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:5000
ProxyHTMLURLMap http://localhost:5000 http://1.2.3.4
ProxyHTMLURLMap http://localhost:5000 http://1.2.3.5

<Location />
  ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:5000
  SetOutputFilter proxy-html
  ProxyHTMLURLMap /     /
  AuthLDAPEnabled on
  AuthLDAPAuthoritative on
  AuthLDAPURL "ladp://myserver:3268/DC=FOO
,DC=BAR,DC=COM?sAMAccountName?sub?"
  AuthLDAPBindDN 'ldapuser@foo.bar.com"
  AuthLDAPBindPassword "password"
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Login in using your domain login."
  require valid-user
</Location>

If you see a mistake in my conf file, or understand why this is prompting
for multiple logins I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
         Joe

Re: [users@httpd] Apache LDAP authentication prompts multiple times for login/password.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
Are you redirecting to different parts of the URL space and/or between
different virtualhosts/protcools?  The access log can probably tell
you if this is the case.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache LDAP authentication prompts multiple times for login/password.

Posted by Joe Seeley <jo...@gmail.com>.

> > Strange, it almost seems like the creds aren't being cached, but if it
> > is only 2 or 3 times, that can't be the case.  Are you loading both
> > mod_ldap and mod_authnz_ldap?  Can you test without the proxy parts?

I'm using mod_ldap and mod_auth_ldap.  Due to the way the app is setup it
will not allow access without the proxy.  This is a COTS product I'm working
with so that complicates it a bit.

Not much help I'm afraid...

> nick
>
> --
> Nick Owen
> WiKID Systems, Inc.
> 404.962.8983
> http://www.wikidsystems.com
> Commercial/Open Source Two-Factor Authentication

Joiey Seeley
Software Engineer
Home: (319)265-7876
Cell: (319)329-8552