Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Horn, Rob" <Ro...@sbs.siemens.co.uk> on 2002/08/09 11:18:50 UTC

Is it possible to include via a directive snippets into the serve r.xml file

Within our project we have an overlap of responsibility between the
infrastructure team who are responsible for building the application servers
and the development team who are responsible for delivering an application
ready for deployment.

The overlap centres on server.xml

The infrastructure guys need to put host specific information into
server.xml

The development guys are dependent on a context definition and resources
defined within it.

My question is therefore ... is it possible to "include" a snippet for the
context that the development team can maintain into the infrastructure
maintain server.xml file.

Cheers

Rob Horn

RE: Is it possible to include via a directive snippets into the server.xml file

Posted by Andrew <an...@attbi.com>.
in Tomcat 4.1.x you can put XML files containing context information
into your webapps directory and TC adds them as contexts.  this is how
the admin and manager apps are added.

- Andrew

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Horn, Rob wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:18:50 +0100
> From: "Horn, Rob" <Ro...@sbs.siemens.co.uk>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Is it possible to include via a directive snippets into the
>     serve r.xml file
>
> Within our project we have an overlap of responsibility between the
> infrastructure team who are responsible for building the application servers
> and the development team who are responsible for delivering an application
> ready for deployment.
>
> The overlap centres on server.xml
>
> The infrastructure guys need to put host specific information into
> server.xml
>
> The development guys are dependent on a context definition and resources
> defined within it.
>
> My question is therefore ... is it possible to "include" a snippet for the
> context that the development team can maintain into the infrastructure
> maintain server.xml file.

XML lets you do stuff like that directly with entities.

In Tomcat 4.1.x, you can also separate out the <Context> element for each
context into a separate "context configuration file" that can be
independently deployed, which would seem a better long term solution.

If all else fails, you can write a simple script that combines all the
stuff you need from file fragments just before invoking the startup.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best ...

> Cheers
>
> Rob Horn

Craig