Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org> on 2016/10/21 03:37:33 UTC

Pencils down for 0.4-incubating...

I’m hoping to cut a release candidate for 0.4-incubating on Sunday - so please try to PR anything you’ve been working on that’s ready by then - or let me know if you need just a little more time for anything.

The draft copy I’ve written to announce the release is below - feedback welcome.

—

The Apache Streams team is pleased to announce the release of Apache Streams 0.4-incubating.

Apache Streams (incubating) unifies a diverse world of digital profiles and online activities into common formats and vocabularies, and makes these datasets accessible across a variety of databases, devices, and platforms for streaming, browsing, search, sharing, and analytics use-cases.

The project aims to provide simple two-way data interchange with popular REST APIs in activity streams formats using a universal protocol. Streams compatibility with multiple storage back-ends and ability to be embedded within any java-based real-time or batch data processing platform ensures that its interoperability features come with little technical baggage.

0.4-incubating adds the ability for consumer provider classes (twitter, instagram, facebook, google+, rss, and youtube) to be run directly from a linux command prompt or an sbt shell, and adds documentation on the project website to help users get started collecting data with needing to build from source first.  Integration test coverage has been expanded to include data pulls from third-party services using developer-supplied credentials, and reading/writing data to databases launched within docker containers for testing purposes.

0.4-incubating also adds classes and maven plugins capable of translating json schemas, which might include dependencies on other json schemas within the same source tree or hosted anywhere on the web, into source code (Java, Scala), and resource file to help configure popular data frameworks (cassandra, elasticsearch, hbase, hive, and pig) to analyze documents which comply with those schemas.

0.4-incubating also includes updates to many third-party dependencies, adding official support for Elasticsearch 2+, Mongo 3+, and Neo4j 3+,

Re: Pencils down for 0.4-incubating...

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.