Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by brian moseley <bc...@maz.org> on 2001/06/11 03:40:28 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] libservlet 0.9.1

The URL

    http://www.maz.org/libservlet/dist/libservlet-0.9.1.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

  file: $CPAN/authors/id/I/IX/IX/libservlet-0.9.1.tar.gz
  size: 79634 bytes
   md5: b091b143fe57bc05214ec9db6eb40d6d

This is the first public version of libservlet. You can't do much
with it yet, since no Perl servlet containers exist yet. However, I
wanted to get some eyeballs on it, and it would be great if somebody
got excited enough to volunteer help. There are a few outstanding
issues and some documentation work needs to be done. 95% of the work
is done tho, which means I can turn my attention back to Wombat and
hopefully get a working container released in the next week or so.

For more information, see http://www.maz.org/libservlet/. A mailing
list has been created - mailto:libservlet-subscribe@maz.org.
Feedback is most certainly welcome!

(blurb from web site:)

The Servlet API for Perl (libservlet) is a formulation of
the Java (TM) Servlet API in Perl. The current version of
the API is 2.3.

While the servlet concept originated with Java (TM), its
component model is quite natural for Perl as well. By
writing servlet applications and deploying them in a servlet
container, application authors can spare themselves the
effort of writing commonly needed web application
infrastructure components for each new project. Furthermore,
servlet applications are portable between deployment
environments; they can be executed in any servlet container
using any process model with only a few configuration
changes and no application code changes. Servlet
applications are insulated from changes in vendor or
platform and are able to portably take advantage of standard
web infrastructure services offered by any servlet
container.