Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by Neil Joshi <ne...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/05 03:48:50 UTC

[VOTE] - Merge HDDS-4440-s3-performance feature branch into master

Hi All,

I would like to propose merging the S3g Grpc Persistent Connection Feature
branch, HDDS-4440-s3-performance, into the Ozone master.  This feature
branch brings servicing s3 transactions through the S3 gateway, s3g, over
Grpc to the Ozone Manager, om.  In a production ready configuration with an
ozone cluster configured with security enabled and encryption on the wire,
the feature shows at least a 2x performance improvement in transaction
processing rates.

The implementation processes S3 gateway requests through a gRPC
OmTransport, a design that allows a persistent OzoneClient connection and
aws signature authentication on a per request basis.  The implementation is
a result of the HDDS-4440 design proposal for a "persistent OM connection
for S3 gateway".  A supporting Jira patch, HDDS-5881, improved upon ozone
1.2.0 s3g by introducing a persistent Hadoop RPC, hRPC, connection between
the s3g and om.  This feature branch, s3g over Grpc, supersedes the patch
by further improving the performance by over 2x with encryption on the wire
(TLS).

The feature branch proposed to be merged represents HDDS-4440 - consisting
of 14 subtasks (1-15) and 2 supporting Jiras HDDS-5881 & HDDS-5630.  All
Jiras are represented in the branch to be merged with no outstanding work.

I'd like to start a formal VOTE to merge HDDS-4440-s3-performance branch to
master.

The merge checklist for the feature branch is - S3g Grpc Persistent
Connections Feature Merge (HDDS-4440) :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=199540957

The feature design doc is found in:
https://ci-hadoop.apache.org/view/Hadoop%20Ozone/job/ozone-doc-master/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/hadoop-hdds/docs/public/design/s3-performance.html

The ASF slack channel for the feature is: #ozone-s3g-grpc,
https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/C020VL6Q7T5

The feature Jira containing supporting tasks, sub-tasks and design docs is:
HDDS-4440,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDDS-4440

The mailing list ANNOUNCE for this feature branch is:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/7l4fdplrxp90n42186lkl89w5rmhm45b

Thanks to all contributors for your input into the design, implementing,
testing and review of this feature.

Thanks to Marton for design, design discussions and for getting the feature
off the ground from conception through to realization.

Thanks to many others that were involved through the whole process, Alex,
Michel, Angela, Jasen, Arpit, Sid, George, Aravindan, Ritesh, Attila,
Bharat.

I am starting with my +1.

*The vote will run for 7 days, ending on Apr 12 at 8:00 PT.*

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Neil

--
NJ

Re: [VOTE] - Merge HDDS-4440-s3-performance feature branch into master

Posted by Neil Joshi <ne...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone, the feature branch merge vote for merging
 HDDS-4440-s3-performance into the master is complete with vote to merge.

In total we have 4 +1 PMC votes and 8 +1 votes in total, (Neil, Michel,
Jackson, Mingchao, Bharat, Uma, Sid, Attila) and no 0 or -1 votes.

Following this merge, we will be following up with a patch that was
mistakenly omitted prior to the merge, refactoring the
OMFailoverProxyProvider HDDS-6433 (thanks Hanisha for your help with the
FailoverProxyProviders for this feature).

Thanks to the community members for the technical advice, PR reviews,
support and encouragement.

The branch was merged earlier today by Attila - thanks.

Regards,
Neil

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@apache.org>.
+1 for the merge.

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla <um...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla <um...@gmail.com>.
Hi Neil,

Posted by Attila Doroszlai <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bharat Viswanadham <bh...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Bharat

Posted by mingchao zhao <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by jackson yao <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michel Sumbul <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Attila Doroszlai <ad...@apache.org>.
+1 for the branch merge.

There is one item left in the PR (TestOzoneConfigurationFields applied
to S3 config).

Neil, can you please open a Jira issue for each of the items addressed
in the draft PR (excluding merges from master) since it was opened?
Those changes would need to be brought into the feature branch from
your fork before the merge, and we need a task for that.

Thanks.

-Attila