Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2009/10/23 21:44:10 UTC

Ideas for 2.2.5 and end of year

Just wanted to start a discussion about 2.2.5.   I know it's a bit early since
2.2.4 was just released 2 weeks ago, but holiday season is fast approaching so
I thought I throw an idea out there.

We've done a TON of work resolving JIRA issues in the last two weeks.  We
already have over 30 resolved issues on the 2.2.x branch which is outstanding
work.   That's already more than we had for 2.1.7.      Thus, I was kind of
thinking of doing a 2.2.5 sooner than the normal 8-10 weeks.

8-10 weeks from the last release would put it at about mid December, which
kind of sucks due to holidays and such.    I know I'm going to be in and out
throughout December (I have too many "use or lose" vacation days) and I know
others will be in and out as well.    Thus, it's not really a good time to
prepare a release.    Thus, I was thinking maybe do 2.2.5 in mid November and
then 2.2.6 would then be in January sometime.   (and then I'm hoping 2.3 would
be in Feb/Mar, but that still remains to be seen if stuff is "ready")

I don't think there is much push for 2.1.8 for November.  Only 9 of the
resolved issues were pushable back to 2.1.x.   Thus, I'd probably skip 2.1.8
and just do that in January with 2.2.6.   Besides, I'd like to slow down 2.1.x
releases with the thought of stopping them sometime soon as well since 2.2.x
is generally a simple migration from 2.1.x.

Does that make sense to people?   Any objections?  Thoughts?  Comments?

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Ideas for 2.2.5 and end of year

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Sounds good to me

Christian

Daniel Kulp schrieb:
> Just wanted to start a discussion about 2.2.5.   I know it's a bit early since
> 2.2.4 was just released 2 weeks ago, but holiday season is fast approaching so
> I thought I throw an idea out there.
>
> We've done a TON of work resolving JIRA issues in the last two weeks.  We
> already have over 30 resolved issues on the 2.2.x branch which is outstanding
> work.   That's already more than we had for 2.1.7.      Thus, I was kind of
> thinking of doing a 2.2.5 sooner than the normal 8-10 weeks.
>
> 8-10 weeks from the last release would put it at about mid December, which
> kind of sucks due to holidays and such.    I know I'm going to be in and out
> throughout December (I have too many "use or lose" vacation days) and I know
> others will be in and out as well.    Thus, it's not really a good time to
> prepare a release.    Thus, I was thinking maybe do 2.2.5 in mid November and
> then 2.2.6 would then be in January sometime.   (and then I'm hoping 2.3 would
> be in Feb/Mar, but that still remains to be seen if stuff is "ready")
>
> I don't think there is much push for 2.1.8 for November.  Only 9 of the
> resolved issues were pushable back to 2.1.x.   Thus, I'd probably skip 2.1.8
> and just do that in January with 2.2.6.   Besides, I'd like to slow down 2.1.x
> releases with the thought of stopping them sometime soon as well since 2.2.x
> is generally a simple migration from 2.1.x.
>
> Does that make sense to people?   Any objections?  Thoughts?  Comments?

--

Christian Schneider
---

Re: Ideas for 2.2.5 and end of year

Posted by Alessio Soldano <as...@redhat.com>.
I'm fine with a 2.2.5 happening soon.
Cheers
Alessio

Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Just wanted to start a discussion about 2.2.5.   I know it's a bit early since
> 2.2.4 was just released 2 weeks ago, but holiday season is fast approaching so
> I thought I throw an idea out there.
>
> We've done a TON of work resolving JIRA issues in the last two weeks.  We
> already have over 30 resolved issues on the 2.2.x branch which is outstanding
> work.   That's already more than we had for 2.1.7.      Thus, I was kind of
> thinking of doing a 2.2.5 sooner than the normal 8-10 weeks.
>
> 8-10 weeks from the last release would put it at about mid December, which
> kind of sucks due to holidays and such.    I know I'm going to be in and out
> throughout December (I have too many "use or lose" vacation days) and I know
> others will be in and out as well.    Thus, it's not really a good time to
> prepare a release.    Thus, I was thinking maybe do 2.2.5 in mid November and
> then 2.2.6 would then be in January sometime.   (and then I'm hoping 2.3 would
> be in Feb/Mar, but that still remains to be seen if stuff is "ready")
>
> I don't think there is much push for 2.1.8 for November.  Only 9 of the
> resolved issues were pushable back to 2.1.x.   Thus, I'd probably skip 2.1.8
> and just do that in January with 2.2.6.   Besides, I'd like to slow down 2.1.x
> releases with the thought of stopping them sometime soon as well since 2.2.x
> is generally a simple migration from 2.1.x.
>
> Does that make sense to people?   Any objections?  Thoughts?  Comments?

--
Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss