Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Jim Barnett <Ji...@genesyslab.com> on 2013/05/09 16:12:46 UTC

debugging tools?

Are there tools that will help me debug a complex assertion?  I've tried using trace, but it doesn't seem to print out messages when it's inside an 'every' or a 'some'.   I've attached the example I'm trying to debug.  The assertion in line 26 of the schema should reject the <transition> in line 7 of sample.scxml, but it doesn't (so validation succeeds).  I can't tell if there's a logical error in my schema, or if I'm not using some element correctly.  Can someone give me some hints on how to debug the assertion's application?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Barnett

Re: debugging tools?

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
For the example you've posted, there's no compilation error with
<assert> XPath expression and the <assert> has returned true for the
XML instance document you've posted.

The <assert> you've cited seems to have a lengthy XPath expression.
Unless there's a strong reason to write such lengthy <assert> XPath
expressions, these should be refactored (for example, by breaking
these into multiple asserts) to have a reasonable logical complexity.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Jim Barnett <Ji...@genesyslab.com> wrote:
> Are there tools that will help me debug a complex assertion?  I’ve tried
> using trace, but it doesn’t seem to print out messages when it’s inside an
> ‘every’ or a ‘some’.   I’ve attached the example I’m trying to debug.  The
> assertion in line 26 of the schema should reject the <transition> in line 7
> of sample.scxml, but it doesn’t (so validation succeeds).  I can’t tell if
> there’s a logical error in my schema, or if I’m not using some element
> correctly.  Can someone give me some hints on how to debug the assertion’s
> application?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim Barnett

Mukul Gandhi

RE: debugging tools?

Posted by Jim Barnett <Ji...@genesyslab.com>.
I’m specifically looking for a way to trace the evaluation of the Xpath expressions inside a schema <assertion>.  The tools you point to don’t  mention such a capability, and if they have it, it must be based on some underlying functionality in Xerces, so I was hoping someone could show me where the hooks to such a tracing capability would be.   (the specific problem that in the example that I sent around is that I have an <assertion> that should be rejecting a specific element in the document, but it is not. )

Thanks,
Jim

From: Jim Barnett <Ji...@genesyslab.com>>
To: "j-users@xerces.apache.org<ma...@xerces.apache.org>" <j-...@xerces.apache.org>>
Date: 05/09/2013 09:31 AM
Subject: debugging tools?

Are there tools that will help me debug a complex assertion?  I’ve tried using trace, but it doesn’t seem to print out messages when it’s inside an ‘every’ or a ‘some’.   I’ve attached the example I’m trying to debug.  The assertion in line 26 of the schema should reject the <transition> in line 7 of sample.scxml, but it doesn’t (so validation succeeds).  I can’t tell if there’s a logical error in my schema, or if I’m not using some element correctly.  Can someone give me some hints on how to debug the assertion’s application?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Barnett[attachment "sample.scxml" deleted by Mark R Maxey/US/Raytheon] [attachment "test_schema.xsd" deleted by Mark R Maxey/US/Raytheon]

Re: debugging tools?