Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2020/02/02 17:20:23 UTC

Moving parent pom and build resources to GitHub

Hi,

I would like to propose that we move the parent POM and build resources etc. over to GitHub as well.

In SVN, all of these are in a common location:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/build

and share a single trunk/branches/tags structure.

The question is whether to keep this or whether to split them up into separate repos since these all seem to have different versioning cycles. Not really sure about how the uima-eclipse... things are used.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: Moving parent pom and build resources to GitHub

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
These are all different projects, on different versioning cycles.

They're not really officially "released" (no external announcement is made);
they're build tooling used in building our artifacts, or things run to maintain
our eclipse update site (the uima-eclipse-... projects).

I'm thinking it probably isn't worth the work to move these to Git, splitting
them up, etc., since they hardly get updated, and if so, the updates are usually
minor / trivial, and all of these are just build tooling.

I think moving to Git is valuable for our released projects, to attract
contributions from the wider community
(which is more likely to be familiar with Git).   These "build" projects are
just build tooling which I think have a much smaller set of updaters.

Having said all this, if someone wants to take the trouble to move these to Git,
I won't object.

-Marshall