Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/21 00:49:38 UTC

linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away

I was cruising through the users list yesterday and came across this
message.

http://markmail.org/message/tl2jof3b5inpnedj

I, too am a Linux/KDE users of 11 years, but I'm not sure what you mean by
this comment --

"I use KDE; AOO only provides integration for GNOME. "

Could you elaborate?
What AOO desktop-integration bits do you install?

MzK

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
 to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
                             -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain

Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM, BRM <bm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Ben --

You need to install the desktop-integration parts manually, after the main
install. Please see:

 http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html

This does not happen "automagically". I can't tell by your response here
what you've done.

If you have installed some other desktop-integration piece for AOO, I
suggest you uninstall that, install the freedesktop-menus, get out of KDE
then back in, to see changes.

Please be aware that this effects main KDE/mime_type/application menu
integration only and not TOTAL KDE integration, e.g. kmail, etc.

I hope this helps.

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.
On Monday 23 September 2013 14:28:52 you wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM, BRM <bm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

--
Peace,

Greg

Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM, BRM <bm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

you won't have to do any manual configuration of mime-types, as this will
take care of that.

It seems this little tip needs to be added to the Install Instructions as
well. hmmm...

And of course I'll be happy to help with testing of any KDE integration.

Well, there will be more to do in that regard, but this is first step. I
hope it helps.

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.
<gi...@sbcglobal.net>wrote:
> > On 09/23/2013 02:31 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >    There used to be many ideas, but most of the integration became

> >> Firefox with KDE, unfortunately there are not links to the actual
> >> patches but it does include, KDE File Dialog support, KDE
> >> Application launcher support and other things (that you dont care)
> >> like icons and themes.
> >> http://old-en.opensuse.org/**KDE/FirefoxIntegration<http://old-en.
> >>opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration>
> >>
> >> If there is a way to get to those patches, it would be trivial to
> >> switch to
> >> the OpenOffice values since this is mainly KDE code, more than
> >> AOO. ​
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > This is getting off-topic, but Slackware 14.0 Linux was up to
> > mozilla-firefox-21.0 when, to my surprise, the next security
> > release went back down to 17.0.7esr.  Here is an excerpt from the
> > linux-security.comSlackware page as to the reason Slackware did so:
> >
> >    Here are the details from the Slackware 14.0 ChangeLog:
> >    +--------------------------+
> >
> > patches/packages/mozilla-**firefox-17.0.7esr-i486-1_**slack14.0.txz
> >: Upgraded.
> >       This release contains security fixes and improvements.
> >       For more information, see:
> >         http://www.mozilla.org/**security/known-**
> > vulnerabilities/firefoxESR.**html<http://www.mozilla.org/security/k
> >nown-vulnerabilities/firefoxESR.html> (* Security fix *)
> >       We had to switch to ESR here as well, as there's a problem
> > running Firefox
> >       22.0 on Slackware 14.0 under KDE (crash when oxygen-gtk2 is
> > installed).
> >       Forcing people to uninstall oxygen-gtk2 isn't really an
> > option for a security fix, and upgrading to the latest oxygen-gtk2
> > did not help. It's possible that future Firefox/Thunderbird
> > security updates will always
> >       come from the ESR branch.
> >    +--------------------------+
> >
> > The reference to "...as well..." refers to Slackware's Mozilla
> > Thunderbird going back to the 17.0.8 branch too.
> >
> > More to the topic of AOO desktop integration, I am no longer using
> > AOO. It's a long story and way off topic.  However, I am using
> > LibreOffice with KDE4 and it installs into the K-menu just fine.  I
> > am using the freedesktop-menus desktop file.  I would expect AOO to
> > have the same desktop file in their package.  If not, well then
> > maybe the subject is not so "hell bent".
> > Hope this helps.
> > Girvin Herr
>
> We do! see other messages in this thread. And, the install guide has
> just been modified to emphasize this!
>
> We would love to hear your results with the newest version -- AOO
> 4.0.1 -- which we are voting on now and should be out VERY soon, with
> the freedesktop-integration menus.
>
> I think you'll be pleased! :)

AOO 4.0.11 RC3 is solid, but so has the history of Openoffice, for my
use, subset of feaures.

mime types are configured, .....AOO is the default app for .doc, .docx,
odf stuff.

menus are updated with all the AOO apps.

Trinity Desktop has done this: gtk,TDE theme engine.
http://trinity-announce.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::27

I have used kmail for quite some time with Openoffice, mostly using
the "email as xxx" feature, no issues, I do not do mail merges.

--
Peace,

Greg

Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.
On Tuesday 24 September 2013 11:34:44 you wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM, BRM <bm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It is not available on OO 4.0+ here.

 I noticed the titlebar for AOO is the same, look & function, as the
titlebar in my other KDE apps.

--
Peace,

Greg

Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 24/09/2013 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> ​A feature that OOo used to have is to use the system file picker dialog.
> However I no longer see this option, can anyone else test this for me?
> ​Please go to Tools ->  Options ->  OpenOffice General ->  Open/Save Dialog

I see it normally in the now approved OpenOffice 4.0.1. Linux 64, RPM
version.

This might or might not be related, but last time I checked OpenOffice
had a freedesktop integration package in the RPM version but not in the
DEB version (where, as already discussed here, only GNOME was offered).
I don't know if there is any technical reason for this.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM, BRM <bm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://www.openoffice.org

Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Girvin Herr <girvin.herr@sbcglobal.net
> >wrote:
>

> > On 09/23/2013 02:31 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >    There used to be many ideas, but most of the integration became a

> Mozilla
> >> Firefox with KDE, unfortunately there are not links to the actual
> patches
> >> but it does include, KDE File Dialog support, KDE Application launcher
> >> support and other things (that you dont care) like icons and themes.
> >> http://old-en.opensuse.org/**KDE/FirefoxIntegration<
> http://old-en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration>
> >>
> >> If there is a way to get to those patches, it would be trivial to switch
> >> the OpenOffice values since this is mainly KDE code, more than AOO. ​
> >>

> > The reference to "...as well..." refers to Slackware's Mozilla
> Thunderbird
> > going back to the 17.0.8 branch too.
> >
> > More to the topic of AOO desktop integration, I am no longer using AOO.
> >  It's a long story and way off topic.  However, I am using LibreOffice
> with
> > KDE4 and it installs into the K-menu just fine.  I am using the
> > freedesktop-menus desktop file.  I would expect AOO to have the same
> > desktop file in their package.  If not, well then maybe the subject is
> not
> > so "hell bent".
> > Hope this helps.
> > Girvin Herr
> >

> We do! see other messages in this thread. And, the install guide has just
> been modified to emphasize this!

​Aaron Seigo replied to me on G+ with a few links about the current
freedesktop spec that is followed. I would forward the question about what
we want to achieve with Nepomuk:
-- Aaron comment ---
For mimetypes:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-latest.html

File associations are done by default using application .desktop files  and
modified using the mimeapps.list file in ~/.local/share/applications as per
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec/

For application menus: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

The xdg utils can  make using these systems from the application side
easier.

As for Akonadi / Nepomuk, I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly?
API to hook AOO into Akonadi / Nepomuk? If so .. if you can be a bit more
specific as to what the  needs are I can be a bit more specific in my
answer.
---

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Girvin Herr <gi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM, BRM <bm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

​I notice there was little to no integration with any KDE-PIM on that
table, which is a shame, althought Nepomuk track the files more than the
applications AFAIK.​

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by BRM <bm...@yahoo.com>.
> I was cruising through the users list yesterday and came across this message.
> http://markmail.org/message/tl2jof3b5inpnedj
> I, too am a Linux/KDE users of 11 years, but I'm not sure what you mean by
> this comment --
> "I use KDE; AOO only provides integration for GNOME. "
> Could you elaborate?
> What AOO desktop-integration bits do you install?

As the OP on the comment...

I installed AOO from the unofficial Debian Ports tree hosted on SF.net[1].

There is a package in there called "openoffice-gnome-integration"[1], which is provided by AOO; there is no package "openoffice-kde-integration" - which is what my comment was about.
So I have no mime-type integration aside from what I do manually; nor do I have it on any menus in KDE4, so I have to run it via KRunner and an explicit path to the soffice binaries[3].

Now, if openoffice-gnome-integration will do the above without requiring GNOME to be installed, great - I haven't tried it as the name suggests requiring GNOME which I don't have installed (Kubuntu user).

If I'm missing something, then please point me in the right direction. And of course I'll be happy to help with testing of any KDE integration.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 9/22/13, Greg Madden <go...@gci.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 September 2013 08:53:10 you wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
> wrote:
>> > I also use KDE, however, most of the integration has to do with the
>> > distro. Since distros dont ship AOO, the options are very
>> > integrated with LO.
>> >
>> > Dolphin/Konqueror default the *.odt to LO.
>>
>> Well, Ok, but you can change these default mime types.
>>
>> > AOO also integrates with Thunderbird but doesn't really show an
>> > option for Kmail. Or their latest Kolab, OwnCloud system.
>>
>> I'm having some issues myself configuring e-mail to work with AOO
>> 4.0.1 at this point. I use KDE but have never used Kmail. No  details
>> until I can figure out more what the problem could be.
>>
>> I know both GNOME and KDE now make use of the freedesktop.org xdg
>> specifications. Maybe the internal e-mail handler in AOO can make use
>> of those interfaces. At any rate, more research and investigation
>> needed -- a topic for the "dev" list.

>> > by

> Kay Schenk, I follow the AOO dev list see your posts.
>
> Not sure what constitutes integration/support for AOO & LO. I use
> Trinity desktop, the continuation of KDE 3.5.x branch. The lead dev
> there has provided some kind of  support for LO, mostly due to lack of
> resources to do more and AOO is not in distros.
>
> Are you aware of this code?
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-May/031676.html

AFAIK this is a mime-type submittion for MS Word files in the TDE.
http://git.trinitydesktop.org/cgit/tde/diff/
http://git.trinitydesktop.org/cgit/tde/tree/.gitmodules

Looking at KDE4 this would be something along the lines of here:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/revisions/master/show/kwin

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM, Greg Madden <go...@gci.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 22 September 2013 08:53:10 you wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
> wrote:
> > > I also use KDE, however, most of the integration has to do with the
> > > distro. Since distros dont ship AOO, the options are very
> > > integrated with LO.
> > >
> > > Dolphin/Konqueror default the *.odt to LO.
> >
> > Well, Ok, but you can change these default mime types.
> >
> > > AOO also integrates with Thunderbird but doesn't really show an
> > > option for Kmail. Or their latest Kolab, OwnCloud system.
> >
> > I'm having some issues myself configuring e-mail to work with AOO
> > 4.0.1 at this point. I use KDE but have never used Kmail. No  details
> > until I can figure out more what the problem could be.
> >
> > I know both GNOME and KDE now make use of the freedesktop.org xdg
> > specifications. Maybe the internal e-mail handler in AOO can make use
> > of those interfaces. At any rate, more research and investigation
> > needed -- a topic for the "dev" list.

> > > by

> Kay Schenk, I follow the AOO dev list see your posts.
>
> Not sure what constitutes integration/support for AOO & LO.

In the larger scheme of things -- integration for Linux is perhaps not
quite there. Right now we have good integration with mime-types for KDE (at
least 4.x) with the freedesktop-menu installation.

The concern I was originally asking about had to do with "recognized"
default mailer, and this is NOT automatically detected for Linux.

I use
> Trinity desktop, the continuation of KDE 3.5.x branch. The lead dev
> there has provided some kind of  support for LO, mostly due to lack of
> resources to do more and AOO is not in distros.
>
> Are you aware of this code?
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-May/031676.html

No, I am not. Nor had I even heard of Trinity before this.

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I also use KDE, however, most of the integration has to do with the
>> distro.
>> > Since distros dont ship AOO, the options are very integrated with LO.
>> >
>> > Dolphin/Konqueror default the *.odt to LO.
>> >

>> Well, Ok, but you can change these default mime types.
>>

> ​Just like we do automatically for Windows, but offer no solution on
> Linux. Users need to do it manually.​
> ​
> http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/images/Download_2_4_1_html_5bc7f92d.png
> ​
>

>> > AOO also integrates with Thunderbird but doesn't really show an option
>> for
>> > Kmail. Or their latest Kolab, OwnCloud system.
>> >

>> I'm having some issues myself configuring e-mail to work with AOO 4.0.1 at
>> this point. I use KDE but have never used Kmail. No  details until I can
>> figure out more what the problem could be.
>>

> ​There is also Akonadi which is the underlining resource manager for
> KDE-PIM. Not sure to what degree of integration with KMail "services" is
> dependable of it. I know in the past Sun people worked with Mozilla to
> integrate some of the Calendar/Mail services with OpenOffice under the
> Lightning project. ​
> ​
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.0/#Calendar_and_Email_Client_.28Mozilla_Thunderbird_and_Lightning.29
>
> Evolution is practically death, but both Kolab/Akonadi are very well alive
> under the KDE layer. ​

​Here are two examples of integration from KDE into Mozilla, one for
KWallet replacing Mozilla internal master password, and the other is for
Plasmoid notifications system.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/kde-wallet-password-integratio/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/plasmanotify/

Looking at the code of plasmoid, it looks like they catch the calls and
re-route them to kdialog's notification system.
http://pastebin.mozilla.org/3122278

A good testcase is to use Calligra and review how integrated is with the
rest of the desktop. ​

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.