Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/15 06:56:23 UTC

Optimizer overrides - functional spec

Hi,
 I am looking at implementing optimizer overrides in Derby for 10.2 release.
Derby engine in fact already supports some optimizer overrides but they are
not user visible. I have attached the functional spec for more information.
Let me know if anyone has any comments.
 thanks,
Mamta

Re: Optimizer overrides - functional spec

Posted by Øystein Grøvlen <Oy...@Sun.COM>.
I have a question about the following:

        If the user will not follow --PROPERTIES syntax for specifying
        the optimizer overrides, parser will simply treat them as
        comments and ignore them. So, be careful with the syntax,
        don't leave any blanks between -- and PROPERTIES. The
        parser can always be modified to be more flexible about this
        syntax but this is what I am shooting for at this point.

Does this mean that if I have corretly written "--PROPERTIES ..", but
makes some other syntax errors later in the comment, that such errors
will not be reported, or is this only about not putting a space
between "--" and "PROPERTIES"?

--
Øystein

Re: Optimizer overrides - functional spec

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you are right. Since -- comments gobble everything until the end of
line by their definition, I didn't put anything in the functional spec for
it. But it never hurts to be more specific to make things clearer. I would
go ahead and put this information in the functional spec.
 thanks,
Mamta

Posted by Jeffrey Lichtman <sw...@rcn.com>.

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
I have entered entered Derby-573 for this and attached the updated spec
(with Jeff's comments) to the JIRA entry.
 thanks,
Mamta

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.