Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu> on 2002/12/17 18:19:47 UTC

Progress, but still no SVN server (Unknown DAV provider: svn)

Folks,
	Thanks to the terrific responses, I've managed to build apache2
and the subversion client and server.  However, I'm now getting hung up
on the two of them talking to each other.

	Following the INSTALL directions, I get:

unicorn:/usr/local/apache2> bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 1099 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Unknown DAV provider: svn

	This is a freshly built apache.  I've set the port to 8080 and
have tried starting with and without sudo.

	The only other change I made was:

<Location /svn/repos>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /usr/local/var/lib/svn
</Location>

	which is similar to what the INSTALL directions call for.

	Any clues?

	I have verified that the module does exist.

unicorn:/usr/local/apache2> ls modules/mod_dav_svn.so
modules/mod_dav_svn.so

Thanks,
 Seth
--
it is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Re: Progress, but still no SVN server (Unknown DAV provider: svn)

Posted by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu>.
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:39:53PM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu> writes:
>
> > Obviously, I did.  Ugh.
> >
> > However, I do not think the INSTALL document mentions the LoadModule.
> > After digging a little further, the book does, but not the INSTALL doc.
> > Is the INSTALL doc deprecated?
>
> No, it's a bug in INSTALL.
>
> The issue is that our "make install" target is supposed to
> automatically insert the "LoadModule mod_dav_svn" line into your
> httpd.conf.  (I wonder why it didn't for you?)

	I wonder if it is because my apache2 prefix was
/usr/local/apache2, not /usr/local.  Also, the only apache2 information
I gave the subversion configure line was --with-apxs.
	Are there any other changes that subversion should have made to
my httpd.conf that I could look for?

	Anyway, I've managed to do a few test checkins and checkouts
without a hitch, everything looks good.  Thanks for the help.

-Seth
--
it is by will alone I set my mind in motion

tweaking install so mod_dav_svn not copied

Posted by "N. Thomas" <nt...@cise.ufl.edu>.
* Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> [2002-12-17 12:39:53 -0600]:
> Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu> writes:
>
> > However, I do not think the INSTALL document mentions the
> > LoadModule.
>
> Regardless, it should be mentioned in INSTALL anyway.  I'll fix that.

While this topic is still fresh, I was wondering how difficult/easy it
would be to tweak the install scripts to prohibit Subversion from
installing mod_dav_svn.so into the Apache directory itself.

Perhaps I am alone in feeling this way, but I don't believe that when a
program installs, it should ever touch other programs -- without
explicit permission.

The reason this is an issue is that after programs are compiled, I
usually wrap it in the native OS's packaging format (deb, rpm, Depot,
etc.) and I was surprised the first time I saw subversion coping the dav
module into the apache2 directory.

thomas

--
N. Thomas
nthomas@cise.ufl.edu

Re: Progress, but still no SVN server (Unknown DAV provider: svn)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu>.
Obviously, I did.  Ugh.

However, I do not think the INSTALL document mentions the LoadModule.
After digging a little further, the book does, but not the INSTALL doc.
Is the INSTALL doc deprecated?

Woo hoo.  With that change, apache2 starts up successfully.

Thanks for the help.

-Seth

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.