Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Willy Manga <ma...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/21 12:29:09 UTC

What is the right format to import ssh private key in user-mapping.xml (guacamole 1.4)

Hello,

I certainly miss something, but I don't see what.

I want to use authentication via ssh key.

Here is what my user-mapping.xml looks like
http://paste.debian.net/1238561/ ( I have just removed the actual content)

When I try to connect to the remote host, I'm prompted to enter a key
passphrase on the screen even though it was blank in my case. If I hit
"ENTER", I have this message in the log: "Auth key import failed: (null)"

Are there spaces I should remove, carriage return?

--
Willy Manga
@ongolaboy

Re: What is the right format to import ssh private key in user-mapping.xml (guacamole 1.4)

Posted by Willy Manga <ma...@gmail.com>.
.

On 27/04/2022 06:41, Michael Jumper wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 05:29 Willy Manga <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
> There are two main issues:
>
> 1) You should remove the newline before the key header, so the key header
> starts immediately after the "param" tag.

Noted.

> 2) Version 1.4.0 does not support the newer OpenSSH-specific format of
> private key. You'll need to use an RSA key in PEM format, or try building
> from git (support for the OpenSSH format was recently added but is not yet
> released).

I will wait the next release.  :)

> When possible, I'd also recommend moving away from using user-mapping.xml
> and use one of the supported databases. That'll give you a full web-based
> UI for managing connections, users, and user groups.

In the meantime I have created a RSA key in PEM format and use mysql
instead. So far so good.

Thank you.

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 05:29 Willy Manga <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I certainly miss something, but I don't see what.
>
> I want to use authentication via ssh key.
>
> Here is what my user-mapping.xml looks like
> http://paste.debian.net/1238561/ ( I have just removed the actual content)
>
> When I try to connect to the remote host, I'm prompted to enter a key
> passphrase on the screen even though it was blank in my case. If I hit
> "ENTER", I have this message in the log: "Auth key import failed: (null)"
>
> Are there spaces I should remove, carriage return?

There are two main issues:

1) You should remove the newline before the key header, so the key header
starts immediately after the "param" tag.

2) Version 1.4.0 does not support the newer OpenSSH-specific format of
private key. You'll need to use an RSA key in PEM format, or try building
from git (support for the OpenSSH format was recently added but is not yet
released).

When possible, I'd also recommend moving away from using user-mapping.xml
and use one of the supported databases. That'll give you a full web-based
UI for managing connections, users, and user groups.

- Mike