Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by gr...@mail.netio.org on 2003/08/13 03:42:36 UTC

Re: [Slightly OT] Port forwarding (Was: How to restart the root serverfrom within modperl?)

When moving a server from MN to VA I used port forwarding to make the
transition totally seamless. This includes DNS.

I wanted to make sure all my services worked in both places, and I didn't
want to have split systems. That would have been a nightmare for services
like e-mail where a message to one server and the user getting mail from
the other server would have been possible.

I used xinetd and it's built in port forwarding capabilities to migrate
one service at a time from MN to VA. Once the service was running in VA,
I'd disable the service on the MN server and forward all traffic to VA.
Went through each service (email, pop, imap, http, etc. etc. etc.) that I
had active this way. Finally, the only thing running in MN was xinetd on
all my active service ports.

Worked beautifully. Users never knew about the server relocation and
absolutely no disruption to services or missed/interrupted mail. Just the
way I like things.

Greg