Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Foxyshadis <fo...@hotmail.com> on 2004/04/05 12:27:01 UTC

Retrofitting XSLT2 into Xalan 2

I'm wondering just how similar the codebases for XalanJ2 vs. 3 are shaping up. In particular, I'm wondering if it would be possible at all to migrate backward XSLT2 features, like for-each-group or regular expressions, as extension elements into XalanJ 2. I know the low level requirements of the two are somewhat different, but I don't know how that effecs the various elements.

I haven't kept up with the development of the xslt20 branch at all, and it's been almost a year since I actively worked on extensions to the current one, so I feel a bit out of my league at the moment. However, if I become interested enough in the topic, I might try out something along these lines. If successful, it would beat abusing the nodeset/evaluate functions or the key function for complex grouping.

Foxy

Re: Retrofitting XSLT2 into Xalan 2

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

>We are analyzing this issue.

I should note that the xslt20 branch is _VERY_ out of date. It was an
experimental sketch of one possible approach to obtaining, storing, and
manipulating schema information. So I'm not convinced that trying to
retrofit  that particular sketch into Xalan 2 would be a good investment
right now.

Some of the concepts will probably be ported over, but now that Xerces
permits getting schema info without dropping all the way down to XNI we
should consider using that path... and we need to nail down exactly how all
the datatypes and Sequences of them are to be handled.

(There's a continual tension between making Xalan richer/more flexible,
making it faster, and making it more robust/maintainable... <smile/>)

Re: Retrofitting XSLT2 into Xalan 2

Posted by Igor Hersht <ig...@ca.ibm.com>.

Backwards-compatible behavior is really important and complicated issue.
According to XSLT 2.0 docs (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#backwards)
"It is implementation-defined whether a particular XSLT 2.0 implementation
supports backwards-compatible behavior".

We are analyzing this issue.

Igor Hersht
XSLT Development
IBM Canada Ltd., 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario L6G 1C7
Office D2-260, Phone (905)413-3240 ; FAX  (905)413-4839

             Foxyshadis
             <foxyshadis@hotma
             il.com>                                                    To
                                       xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
             04/05/2004 06:27                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Retrofitting XSLT2 into Xalan 2
             Please respond to