Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by bobby abraham <bo...@thoughtfulpeople.com> on 2004/11/01 04:51:23 UTC

Large Page-Sequences and Memory Usage

I am getting an out of memory exception for my large (51M fo file). It
consists of a single table and single page sequence.

I have read and understand the memory issues listed at
http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html#memory  I also note this this has been
discussed often on the mail lists.

I have two questions however.

1.  Is the ability to have arbitrary sized page-sequences being addressed by
the fop redesign ?  ie Is this something worth waiting for or possibly
helping out with ?

2. Assuming a fo file consists of a single very large table. Is there any way
to determine when to close the table and start another in a new page-sequence
such that extra whitespace is not generated.

thank you

--
bobby abraham

Re: Large Page-Sequences and Memory Usage

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.
Bobby,

Regarding 1. The ability to handle arbitrary-sized page-sequences is a
fundamental part of Defoe <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/>, by design.  I
think it is fair to say that there is no corresponding capability in the
current HEAD re-development of FOP.

Defoe is the continuation of the alt-design strand of FOP.  Defoe will
be in a symbiotic relationship with the new Apache XML-Graphics project
(incorporating FOP and Batik).  I anticipate that the
Graphics2D-compatible PDF renderer, which exist in skeletal form in the
current FOP codebase, will handle PDF for Defoe.

I encourage anyone who specifically needs large-file support to become
involved in the development of Defoe.  If you don't have time to code or
write documentation, just send money.  (Well, as soon as I get an
AU$-friendly donation scheme in place.)

Peter

DOCTYPE + XSLT + Xalan + FO

Posted by "Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra-India" <ga...@integra-india.com>.
Dear All,

I am giving XML, XSL and FO output. Actually all the rules of FO has to be
applied to the FO output. But it is not happening. Can any body let me know
what is the reason behind this. If the <!DOCTYPE> line is commented/ instead
of <xsl:template match="content"> if we use   <xsl:template match="/"> then
only the rules are applied. But I want along with DOCTYPE as my entities are
in separate set of files. If we use "/" also the rules are not applying for
other templates.

Please help me. Here are my code samples.

XML
====

<!DOCTYPE content SYSTEM "content.dtd">
<content xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" id="pie-c01-000-001">
<piece role="chapter">
<heading>Banking on panic <span role="subtitle">The historical record and a
theoretical frame</span></heading>
</piece>
</content>

XSL
===

<?xml version="1.0"?>
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
                version="1.0">

  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

  <xsl:template match="content">
    <fo:root>
      <fo:layout-master-set>
        <fo:simple-page-master master-name="simple" page-height="29cm"
page-width="21cm" margin-top="1.5cm" margin-bottom="1.5cm" margin-left="2cm"
margin-right="2cm">
          <fo:region-body margin-top="1.5cm"/>
          <fo:region-before extent="1.5cm"/>
          <fo:region-after extent="1.5cm"/>
        </fo:simple-page-master>
      </fo:layout-master-set>
      <fo:page-sequence master-reference="simple">
        <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
          <fo:block text-align="end">
            p. <fo:page-number/>
          </fo:block>
        </fo:static-content>
        <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
          <fo:block>
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
          </fo:block>
        </fo:flow>
      </fo:page-sequence>
    </fo:root>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="piece/heading">
    <fo:block font-size="18pt" text-align="center" font-weight="bold"
space-after="0.5cm">
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

FO

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Banking on panic The historical record and a theoretical frame