Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by ro...@vodafone.com on 2005/06/06 13:52:14 UTC

Dependencies between blocks

Hi All,

just reading the blocks.properties file and I see there are a lot of
dependencies among the blocks. It's hard to find out what blocks to build if
I want to do a minimal build for using a specific block.

Isn't it possible to create some sort of xml-file "block-dependencies.xml"
that lists all dependencies.  That way a stylesheet could be created that
generates some sort of visual representation (e.g. in SVG).  E.g. :

<blockdependencies>
  <block name="databases">
    <dependency>xsp</dependency>
  </block>
  <block name="hsqldb">
    <dependency>databases</dependency>
  </block>
  <block name="jms">
    <dependency>databases</dependency>
    <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
  </block>
  <block name="ojb">
    <dependency>databases</dependency>
    <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
  </block>
  <block name="petstore">
    <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
  </block>
</blockdependencies>

Re: Dependencies between blocks

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
robby.pelssers@vodafone.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> just reading the blocks.properties file and I see there are a lot of
> dependencies among the blocks. It's hard to find out what blocks to
> build if I want to do a minimal build for using a specific block.
>
> Isn't it possible to create some sort of xml-file
> "block-dependencies.xml" that lists all dependencies.  That way a
> stylesheet could be created that generates some sort of visual
> representation (e.g. in SVG).  E.g. :
>
> <blockdependencies>
>   <block name="databases">
>     <dependency>xsp</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="hsqldb">
>     <dependency>databases</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="jms">
>     <dependency>databases</dependency>
>     <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="ojb">
>     <dependency>databases</dependency>
>     <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="petstore">
>     <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
>   </block>
> </blockdependencies>

Look at gump.xml. The blocks.properties file is generated out of that.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Dependencies between blocks

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
robby.pelssers@vodafone.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> just reading the blocks.properties file and I see there are a lot of
> dependencies among the blocks. It's hard to find out what blocks to
> build if I want to do a minimal build for using a specific block.
>
> Isn't it possible to create some sort of xml-file
> "block-dependencies.xml" that lists all dependencies.  That way a
> stylesheet could be created that generates some sort of visual
> representation (e.g. in SVG).  E.g. :
>
> <blockdependencies>
>   <block name="databases">
>     <dependency>xsp</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="hsqldb">
>     <dependency>databases</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="jms">
>     <dependency>databases</dependency>
>     <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="ojb">
>     <dependency>databases</dependency>
>     <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
>   </block>
>   <block name="petstore">
>     <dependency>hsqldb</dependency>
>   </block>
> </blockdependencies>

block management will change over the next months significantly
(http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blocks). This will also have a great impact on
the block building and distribution
(http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BlockManagement). I know this doesn't help you
now but we know about it and are working on a solution.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc