Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Darko Hojnik <ho...@virtualizing.org> on 2011/08/04 02:26:43 UTC

support about JSVC

Hi there,

I'm thinking about for a good strategy to integrate the new Apache DS on
FreeBSD and maybe create a Port on the FreeBSD portstree.
Duos the M1 haves some classes to start it with the Apache JSVC daemon?
Taniku on the 1.5.x brunch was a disaster. JSVC is awesome to start JAVA
based applications on privileged ports on Unix or Linux. I do it with
Jboss 5.1 Tomcat 6.x and Apache James 3. And where I could set the path
for stored data? Also TLS certificates could be handled with keytool?

By the way. When comes the Apache DS Studio 2.0? Will it get support to
creates templates for recurring tasks?

best regards
Darko

Re: support about JSVC

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 4 août 2011, at 02:26, Darko Hojnik wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi Darko,

> I'm thinking about for a good strategy to integrate the new Apache DS on FreeBSD and maybe create a Port on the FreeBSD portstree.
> Duos the M1 haves some classes to start it with the Apache JSVC daemon?

No.
A long time ago, I think JSVC was used. But it has been replaced with Tanuki for about 4 years now.

You can probably have a look at the following projects:
- apacheds-service
- apacheds-wrapper

These projects contains all the code to start/stop ApacheDS as a service. The Tanuki service wrapper implementation is separate and you could probably get some inspiration to port it to JSVC.

> Taniku on the 1.5.x brunch was a disaster.

What was the problem?
Tanuki is still used on the milestones releases of ApacheDS (2.0.0-M1). Any issue with this version too?

> JSVC is awesome to start JAVA based applications on privileged ports on Unix or Linux. I do it with Jboss 5.1 Tomcat 6.x and Apache James 3.

It could be interesting to evaluate JSVC as a replacement for Tanuki.
Especially now that we're stuck at a given version (due to a licensing change, not being compatible with the Apache License) and this version is no longer maintained.

> And where I could set the path for stored data?

Please have a look at the two projects I mentioned above.

> Also TLS certificates could be handled with keytool?

Yeah, I guess so.
You will then need to insert them in the server configuration via an LDIF import or directly editing entries with Studio.

> By the way. When comes the Apache DS Studio 2.0?

We're still working on it. There's no ETA at the moment, but, probably later this year...

> Will it get support to creates templates for recurring tasks?

Can you elaborate more on this?

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud