Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Tarkenton <ta...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/14 18:05:48 UTC

Tomcat, SecurityManager, and catalina.policy

Hello all.  Quick questions:

1)  The only way to start Tomcat 4.1.18 with a SecurityManager (i.e. -Djava.security.manager @ the command line) is by starting Tomcat via:

%CATALINA_HOME%/bin/catalina start -security

This does in fact launch Tomcat into a JVM with a SecurityManger, right?  Is this the only way to run Tomcat with a SecurityManager?

2)  The %CATALINA_HOME%/conf/catalina.policy file...is this the only security policy Tomcat will examine?  Does it also use the default java security policy in %JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/security/java.policy file?  Can I specify additional security policy files by editing the %CATALINA_HOME%/bin/catalina.bat file by placing a "-Djava.security.policy=foo.policy" within this file's set JAVA_OPTS line?

I really need the clarification...seems my last message has been ignored.

Thanks in advance.