Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Sumant Tambe <su...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/08 05:06:39 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-91 Provide Intuitive User Timeouts in The Producer

Hi all,

I would like to open the vote for KIP-91:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-91+Provide+Intuitive+User+Timeouts+in+The+Producer

Thank you all for your input on the kip so far.

Regards,
Sumant

Re: [VOTE] KIP-91 Provide Intuitive User Timeouts in The Producer

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Sumant,

Thanks for the explanation. Since we default retries to MAX_INT, it seems
that by default, the expiration shouldn't be out of order.

Jun

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
To me, the validation you mentioned is not user friendly, assuming the values
of linger.ms, request.timeout.ms, retry.backoff.ms are from cluster running
previous release of Kafka.

For fresh installation, the validation is fine.

Posted by Sumant Tambe <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumant Tambe <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Sumant,

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the KIP.

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
+1. Thanks for the KIP, Sumant and Joel.

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
+1. Thanks for the KIP.

Posted by Sumant Tambe <su...@gmail.com>.
Updated.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Apurva Mehta <ap...@confluent.io>.
Yes, you are right. It is worth mentioning since the default value of the
retries config is changing.

Thanks,
Apurva

Posted by Sumant Tambe <su...@gmail.com>.