Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Alex Gaynor <al...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/16 19:15:48 UTC

[dev] Moving away from doing our own TLS configuration

Hi all,

I was investigating how libcloud does it's TLS, in the wake of POODLE.
Right now we're pretty much doing the whole pipeline ourselves, and I think
this is a bit unfortunate: we're a cloud abstraction library, we really
shouldn't be in the business of configuring cryptographic protocols!

Long term, I'd like to outsource our HTTPS handling entirely to something
like requests.  In the short term, I want to clean up various bits of this.

For starters, I've put together a patch which replaces our implementation
of TLS certificate verification with the stdlib one (using the backport
package on PyPI): https://github.com/apache/libcloud/pull/374

What do folks think about this?

Alex

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084

Re: [dev] Moving away from doing our own TLS configuration

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
I'm also +1 for using backports.ssl_match_hostname module.

As far as using the requests library goes - I do think it's reasonable to
switch to requests in the future, but that change will be quite a big one.

We should also consider dropping support for Python 2.5 when switching to
requests or sooner (newer versions of requests don't include support for
Python 2.5 anymore).

Posted by John Carr <jo...@unrouted.co.uk>.
Hi,