Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Divyajothi Baskaran <db...@expedia.com> on 2016/11/10 00:31:44 UTC

Upgrading from kafka-0.8.1.1 to kafka-0.9.0.1

Hi,
For the past 6 months,I am the dev for our solution written on top of kafka-0.8.1.1. It is in stable for us. We thought we would upgrade to kafka-0.9.0.1.
With the server upgrade, we did not face any issues.

We have our own solution built to extract the messages and write to different destinations and also messages read by storm. For our unit tests we were using the following maven artifact

<groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>

<artifactId>kafka_2.9.2</artifactId>

<version>0.8.1.1</version>

I could not find, 0.9.0.1 version for kafka_2.9.2. Hence I moved to kafka_2.11 first. This is the artifact used:

<groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>

<artifactId>kafka_2.11</artifactId>

<version>0.9.0.1</version>

I was running into following issue:

  *   scala.ScalaObject not found issue
  *   java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: scala.Predef$.ArrowAssoc(Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object;
  *   kafkaConfig<init> issue with NoSuchMethodError (Ljava/util/map;)Ljava/util/map

Also most of the time, I would run into KafkaServerStartable(both in kafka_2.10-0.9.0.1 and kafka_2.11-0.9.0.1) hang issue. But with the same unit tests, I never got into kafka server hang issue with kafka_2.9.2.

Could you please help me with my problem ?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Divya

Re: Upgrading from kafka-0.8.1.1 to kafka-0.9.0.1

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
The errors you're seeing sound like an issue where you updated the artifact
but didn't recompile against the newer Scala version. Did you recompile or
just replace the Kafka jar with a newer one?

-Ewen

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Divyajothi Baskaran <db...@expedia.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> For the past 6 months,I am the dev for our solution written on top of
> kafka-0.8.1.1. It is in stable for us. We thought we would upgrade to
> kafka-0.9.0.1.
> With the server upgrade, we did not face any issues.
>
> We have our own solution built to extract the messages and write to
> different destinations and also messages read by storm. For our unit tests
> we were using the following maven artifact
>
> <groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>
>
> <artifactId>kafka_2.9.2</artifactId>
>
> <version>0.8.1.1</version>
>

> I could not find, 0.9.0.1 version for kafka_2.9.2. Hence I moved to
> kafka_2.11 first. This is the artifact used:
>
> <groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>
>
> <artifactId>kafka_2.11</artifactId>
>
> <version>0.9.0.1</version>
>

> I was running into following issue:
>
>   *   scala.ScalaObject not found issue
>   *   java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: scala.Predef$.ArrowAssoc(
> Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object;
>   *   kafkaConfig<init> issue with NoSuchMethodError
> (Ljava/util/map;)Ljava/util/map
>
> Also most of the time, I would run into KafkaServerStartable(both in
> kafka_2.10-0.9.0.1 and kafka_2.11-0.9.0.1) hang issue. But with the same
> unit tests, I never got into kafka server hang issue with kafka_2.9.2.
>

> Could you please help me with my problem ?
>
> Am I missing anything?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Divya

Ewen

Re: Upgrading from kafka-0.8.1.1 to kafka-0.9.0.1

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.

wrote:

> Hi,
> For the past 6 months,I am the dev for our solution written on top of
> kafka-0.8.1.1. It is in stable for us. We thought we would upgrade to
> kafka-0.9.0.1.
> With the server upgrade, we did not face any issues.
>
> We have our own solution built to extract the messages and write to
> different destinations and also messages read by storm. For our unit tests
> we were using the following maven artifact
>
> <groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>
>
> <artifactId>kafka_2.9.2</artifactId>
>
> <version>0.8.1.1</version>
>

> I could not find, 0.9.0.1 version for kafka_2.9.2. Hence I moved to
> kafka_2.11 first. This is the artifact used:
>
> <groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>
>
> <artifactId>kafka_2.11</artifactId>
>
> <version>0.9.0.1</version>
>

> I was running into following issue:
>
>   *   scala.ScalaObject not found issue
>   *   java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: scala.Predef$.ArrowAssoc(
> Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object;
>   *   kafkaConfig<init> issue with NoSuchMethodError
> (Ljava/util/map;)Ljava/util/map
>
> Also most of the time, I would run into KafkaServerStartable(both in
> kafka_2.10-0.9.0.1 and kafka_2.11-0.9.0.1) hang issue. But with the same
> unit tests, I never got into kafka server hang issue with kafka_2.9.2.
>

> Could you please help me with my problem ?
>
> Am I missing anything?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Divya

Ewen