Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/04/02 22:49:13 UTC

EPUB from OpenOffice

 *I see several extensions in the repository that offer EPub digital book
conversion from OpenOffice:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/epubGenerator* *
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Writer2ePub* *
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/odftoepub*

Does anyone have experience with these, and a recommendation?  Or is there
some other tool that you would suggest for publishing to EPub?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Rob

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Virgil Arrington <cu...@hotmail.com>.
I hate to say it on an OpenOffice user's list, but the best EPub tool I've
used is a small word processor called Atlantis (shareware, $35.00
registration). It exports directly to EPub format, and its results are very
clean and consistent with the original format. It also does a very nice
import of .ODT files. It's only obvious drawback is that it does not support
tables.

Virgil

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:49:13 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>  *I see several extensions in the repository that offer EPub digital book
> conversion from OpenOffice:
>
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/epubGenerator* *
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Writer2ePub* *
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/odftoepub*
>
> Does anyone have experience with these, and a recommendation?  Or is there
> some other tool that you would suggest for publishing to EPub?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>
> -Rob

There is a useful guide to preparing EPub documents from OpenOffice; this is at
http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/beyond-distance-research-alliance/projects/otter/about-oers/Creatingandformattingepub.pdf

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
On 05/10/2013 04:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/10/2013 04:27 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> I can't answer that in any detail; later this year I will have occasion to
>>> convert a book text to some form of epub and will have to read  up the
>>> intricacies of Calibre's .odt conversion.  I am aware that it can be fine
>>> tuned to pick up and convert many of the formattings in the .odt, but
>>> haven't looked into that in depth yet. Any form of format conversion usually
>>> entails decision making about the compromises involved; a text formatted for
>>> (say) a US Letter page may not adjust immediately to the reduced and dynamic
>>> page/textflow of an ereader.
>>       What I have found that works rather well is to use Calibre to convert
>> ODT to ePUB. Then I use Sigil to clean up the underlying html files. I use
>> these settings in Sigil's Preferences in the Clean Source section: HTML
>> Tiddy, Open, Save, and Replace all files.
> Hi Dan,  Does that workflow you describe preserve the Table of
> Contents from the document, so it becomes a proper TOC in EPUB, not
> list a list of hyperlinks?
>
> -Rob
      I would think the answer is yes, but it depends upon what you mean
by "proper TOC". It is a list of the headings used in the document in
the form of hyperlinks. When one of these is clicked, you are taken to
the selected heading. Each level of the TOC has a style applied to it
that has at least two properties: font size, and left margin. So, the
TOC contains indentations that are determined by the level of a
particular heading.
      I'm not sure if this answers your concerns. If you want, I could
convert a copy of AOO3_4_chapter_template1.odt and send it to you
off-line. I have the template so it is no problem creating the odt file
from it.

--Dan

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
       The Webinar mentioned later is an hour long infomercial about the
eBook Evolution product. There were also a general outline of the
process that was very general in nature. I'm not sure if there was
anything in it that could not be learned from other sources, but the
general ideas presented might help someone. Perhaps the free seminars
might be more specific.
      As far as the link to the free brown bag webinars, the outline of
the two webinars available at the link below contains some of the same
information found in the ultimate-ebook webinar that I watched from the
second link. Neither link seems to give enough information for it to be
useful to me.
      Disclaimer: I use Linux as my OS exclusively, so none of this
information is of any use to me that I can see.
      Perhaps an ODT template can be developed by a person for AOO that
could be used with Calibre to create an ePUB document that has fairly
clean code. This could then be used by people who only use Linux.

--Dan

RE: EPUB from OpenOffice

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Tamblyne <ta...@gmail.com>.

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:49:13 -0400
> Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >  *I see several extensions in the repository that offer EPub digital book
> > conversion from OpenOffice:
> >
> > http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/epubGenerator* *
> > http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Writer2ePub* *
> > http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/odftoepub*
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with these, and a recommendation?  Or is
> there
> > some other tool that you would suggest for publishing to EPub?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any insights.
>
> I've done very little by way  of conversion to electronic formats; I found
> Calibre very satisfactory.  It converts to many (all?) eformats directly
> from OpenOffice .odt files (from other formats also), and manages one's
> library on the ereader.  Certainly worth investigation.

Interesting.  I have Calibre but didn't notice it handled ODF files.  I'll
give it a try.

Thanks,

-Rob

Re: EPUB from OpenOffice