Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> on 2014/12/28 14:11:48 UTC

External libraries on windows

For OS X and Linux, external libraries used by Corinthia are fairly easily installed through package manages (e.g. apt-get on Ubuntu, homebrew on OS X). For windows however, someone who wants to build the project must first go through a manual process of downloading various zip files, extracting them into the right locations etc.

To make it easier, I suggest that we host a copy of the libraries necessary to build on Windows on the Corinthia website. I can put together the directory structure and provide these as a zip file that someone can just download and extract to the right location. I think this would make development on windows a lot easier to begin for newcomers.

Any objections to this?

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: External libraries on windows

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Sunday, December 28, 2014, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 28/12/2014 Peter Kelly wrote:
>
>> Another possibility is for me to host the files on a subdomain of
>> uxproductivity.com <http://uxproductivity.com/>, in much the same way
>> as binaries for the libraries are hosted by others in various
>> locations. That way it’s not an official Apache thing but at least we
>> can have a URL we can point people at which has exactly the files we
>> want.
>>

> There is Apache Extras (by Google) for that. But Google recently (still,
> months ago) changed their policy and the Board is aware but a solution was
> not actually found. SourceForge started a replacement at
> http://sourceforge.net/directory/apache_extras but it is not official
> yet. So we are in a transition phase.

I would really recommend we use the sourceforge solution and reference it
from our web.

> The OpenOffice "bootstrap" script does exactly what you need to do here
> (download and extract tarballs to the right places). It's a Perl script
> which is probably built, using bootstrap.1, as part of the configure
> process... Well, if interested look at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/
> openoffice/trunk/main/ ; in bootstrap.1, line 42 contains the actual call
> to the downloader script.

thanks andrea.

It would be useful if someone with perl  experience could adapt the script.

rgds
jan i

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 28 Dec 2014, at 8:17 pm, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 28 December 2014 at 14:11, Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> For OS X and Linux, external libraries used by Corinthia are fairly easily
>> installed through package manages (e.g. apt-get on Ubuntu, homebrew on OS
>> X). For windows however, someone who wants to build the project must first
>> go through a manual process of downloading various zip files, extracting
>> them into the right locations etc.
>>
>> To make it easier, I suggest that we host a copy of the libraries
>> necessary to build on Windows on the Corinthia website. I can put together
>> the directory structure and provide these as a zip file that someone can
>> just download and extract to the right location. I think this would make
>> development on windows a lot easier to begin for newcomers.
>>
>> Any objections to this?
>>
> I agree to the purpose, but we need to be very careful here, because Apache
> cannot be seen as distributing these libraries, due to licensing.

Yeah I thought that might be an issue.

> I assume, that if we on the page write the original URLs, and that the zip
> is only provided for convinience, it is ok.
>
> Can you please make a text files with the exact URLs when you make the zip
> (I assume you make the zip so it its directly in external).

What I’m thinking of is providing both of the following:

1. A shell script (bash) which downloads and extracts the zip files, and moves everything into its proper location. If possible I’d like to do this with a windows batch file, but that might not be viable given the lack things like unzip and wget on most windows installations.

2. Instructions on how to manually do what the script does, for those who do not have access to a Unix system or find it otherwise inconvenient to use the shell script.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 28 December 2014 at 14:11, Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> wrote:

> For OS X and Linux, external libraries used by Corinthia are fairly easily
> installed through package manages (e.g. apt-get on Ubuntu, homebrew on OS
> X). For windows however, someone who wants to build the project must first
> go through a manual process of downloading various zip files, extracting
> them into the right locations etc.
>
> To make it easier, I suggest that we host a copy of the libraries
> necessary to build on Windows on the Corinthia website. I can put together
> the directory structure and provide these as a zip file that someone can
> just download and extract to the right location. I think this would make
> development on windows a lot easier to begin for newcomers.
>
> Any objections to this?

I agree to the purpose, but we need to be very careful here, because Apache
cannot be seen as distributing these libraries, due to licensing.

I assume, that if we on the page write the original URLs, and that the zip
is only provided for convinience, it is ok.

Can you please make a text files with the exact URLs when you make the zip
(I assume you make the zip so it its directly in external).

I can make the web page with dorte, unless someone else wants to do  it.

rgds
jan i.