Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com> on 2005/06/13 11:55:51 UTC

Woden status and team input

I agree with recent posts about broader input across the Woden team.
Attached below is my past posting to woden-dev about how I think Woden will
fit with Axis WSDL2 Architecture.

I have been away from work for about half of April and May so Woden
progress has been slow.  I have committed code to Woden SVN but have an
error with the commit notices that I haven't fixed yet.  Based on earlier
advice, the existing WSDL4J code will be contributed as a zip or tar and
stored on the project file system (i.e. not in SVN).  I haven't looked into
how to do this yet, so any fast track suggestions are welcome.

There is code in the Woden SVN repository, which is intended as a prototype
to base discussion on. If it doesn't suit, we can change it.  It contains
WSDL4J-like framework features (eg: factory) and a Xerces-like error
reporter feature but little WSDL parsing so far. Will do more this week.
The framework should be configurable to allow different XML parsers.  I'm
currently working on a DOM parsing module as this will be needed by Eclipse
and was the quickest way for Lawrence to get started on the WSDL 2.0
validation module. I do now have the JSR173 spec and R.I. so will start
looking at a StAX module soon unless someone else wants to.  Some
refactoring of the framework code was planned after the DOM module was
written to move any dependencies that crop up in the API.

I want provide documentation on what I've done so far as a basis for
discussion - known requirements, candidate design, rationale.  I was
thinking of using Woden web pages for this, but am open to suggestions
(e.g. the Axis WSDL2 Architecture is in a Wiki).  My main focus for the
next week or two was to finish the DOM parsing module, then get the
documentation up (in about 2 weeks). I could make this higher priority if
it's deemed more important. We also need discussion on schedules and
priorities - who needs what / when.

regards,
John Kaputin

----- Forwarded by John Kaputin/UK/IBM on 13/06/2005 10:18 -----

             John
             Kaputin/UK/IBM@IB
             MGB                                                        To
                                       <wo...@ws.apache.org>
             15/04/2005 14:57                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Sandbox code and Woden requirements
                 woden-dev

Sanjiva,
My sandbox code closely models the WSDL 2.0 component model and has some
wsdl4j-like infrastructure (factory, parsing, etc).  There's not much there
yet, but I am planning to get some working code to  Lawrence this week so
he can start working on a WSDL 2.0 validator and so we can start testing
the WSDL 2.0 spec (i.e. responding to the W3C call for implementations by
running code against their WSDL testcases).  This is not meant to be a
non-collaborative effort - we just wanted to get started while the Woden
proposal was going through.  I have submitted an ICLA, so should have an
apache ID soon to begin sharing the code. My initial focus was to get WSDL
2.0 parsing working, with some thought towards pluggable XML parsers to
support different usage requirements. Currently I am using JAXP.  I know
Axis2 requires StAX and I am currently seeking IBM approval to access the
reference implementation for JSR173 so that I can work with that too.

I've read the Axis2 WSDL Architecture Wiki and looked at the Axis2 WSDL
code. This code is close to the WSDL 2.0 component model, but I guess the
differences are due to the WOM requirements as described in the WSDL
Architecture document.  The WOM is a version-independent common WSDL model
that other Axis2 WSDL modules can program to - correct?

We should discuss this in more depth to agree requirements and scope, but
from the pre-proposal discussion with Dims and as per the Woden proposal I
am assuming that the Woden API will faithfully reflect the WSDL 2.0
component model and that some logic will convert the Woden model to the
WOM.  This should just be a lightweight conversion, with StAX and deferred
parsing being used. It need not involve converting one fully-parsed object
model to another.    It's not clear to me yet if there are any Axis2
scenarios requiring WSDL validation for which deferred parsing is not
suitable - it may be that for validation of the semantic rules in the WSDL
2.0 spec, a fully parsed model of the WSDL is more suitable?

Based on the Axis2 WSDL architecture diagrams,  I assume that Woden parsing
fits somewhere around the WSDLOM Builder module and Woden serialization
somewhere around the WSDLWriter module and that the other WSDL architecture
modules and their requirements are Axis2-specific and out of Woden's scope.
I assume the WSDLBuilder and WSDLWriter modules will remain part of the
Axis2 WSDL architecture and that under the covers they will use Woden to
deserialize and serialize the WSDL 2.0 XML from/to the WOM.

It would be good to gather and share the requirements of the various Woden
stakeholders - Axis2, Eclipse, W3C, e.t.c. I tried to summarize these in
the incubator proposal, but now is the time to scope these out.  I'd like
to hear about your M2 / WSDL discussion at the recent F2F. Also, to
consider timeframes and schedules, in particular the Axis2 M2 dates - I'd
like to have Woden providing WSDL 2.0 support for M2 too! The Eclipse WST
project has some milestone dependencies later in the year and W3C WSDL 2.0
are eagerly awaiting responses to their call for implementations to verify
the WSDL 2.0 spec.

Perhaps we could arrange a conference call with all of the Woden team to
kick off the project and establish some of the requirements and
expectations.  I'd be happy to arrange this. I think Arthur Ryman is busy
Wed-Fri next week, so perhaps Tuesday next week or sometime the week after?

regards,
John Kaputin

             "Sanjiva
             Weerawarana"
             <sanjiva@opensour                                          To
             ce.lk>                    <wo...@ws.apache.org>, "John
                                       Kaputin \(gmail\)"
             14/04/2005 01:23          <ja...@gmail.com>,
                                       <di...@apache.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: welcome to woden-dev mailing
                                       list

Hi John,

How far is your sandbox code for WSDL 2.0 from the stuff in Axis2?
If there's any way to start with the Axis2 stuff that'll certainly
make transition easier.

Also, do you guys have a tentative timeline for WSDL 2.0 support?
I'd love to have Axis2 depend on it, IFF the schedules work out
ok.

Thanks,

Sanjiva.

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.
Yes. Will do today.

John Kaputin

             Davanum Srinivas
             <davanum@gmail.co
                                       woden-dev@ws.apache.org
             13/06/2005 19:34                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Woden status and team input
                 woden-dev

John,

Can you please try one more commit and send me the bounce?

thanks,
dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Dims,

The problem is commit notices are going to a list which doesn't exist.
Should there be a separate list for commit notices (in which case we will
need to set one up) or should the notices go to woden-dev? Personally I
prefer using a separate list for commit notices but this project should
follow the Apache way.

WRT the wiki, if you can point me to some info on getting a wiki setup
I'll take care of it.

Thanks,

Lawrence

Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>
06/13/2005 06:55 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Woden status and team input

I can help you fix the "error with the commit notices". let me know
the problem. +1 to use wiki for initial discussion. Will help in
getting non-committers involved.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.